Steve
Steve, Serious Motor Head
Experience:  30 plus years of automotive service and repair experience.

2006 trailblazer: seal..the nut as I took the pinion yoke..chev

Hello I just changed a rear pinion seal on my 2006 trailblazer over the weekend and I Believe a messed up.I didn't mark the nut as I took the pinion yoke off.But I did speak to a chev mechanic and he tould me I could probubly do it by feel.(not to tight not loose.)Well everything is back together and I still have a leak.I had the yoke off when I purchased the seal and I had The mechanic inspect it and he said that it was ok?What do you think I am a pretty good fix it guy but got in to big of a hurry and didn't research before I took everything apart.What do you think?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer and welcome to Just Answer, it sounds pretty straight forward. If you had not properly re-assembled the rear yoke you would likely experience a clunking on and off of accelleration as the torque affects rear pinion preload. How many miles are on the Trailblazer? Usually I would not expect excess wear on the yoke without miles to justify it. I am going to send the removal and installation instructions. Just to put your mind at ease, I would suggest checking the pre-load as described in these instructions. If it is too tight, you need to replace the crush ring. If it is okay I would look closely at the yoke for wear as it is the actual sealing area. Hope this will help. Please let me know if you need further info. Steve T.

Drive Pinion Flange/Yoke and/or Oil Seal Replacement

Tools Required

• J8614-01 Flange and Pulley Holding Tool
  • J33782 Pinion Oil Seal Installer
  • J38694 Extension Housing Oil Pump/Seal Installer

Removal Procedure

1. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting. Important: Observe and mark the positions of all the driveline components, relative to the propeller shaft and the axles, prior to disassembly. These components include the propeller shafts, drive axles, pinion flanges, output shafts, etc. Reassemble all the components in the exact places in which you removed the parts. Follow any specifications, torque values, and any measurements made prior to disassembly.
  2. Remove the tire and wheel assemblies.
  3. Remove the rear brake calipers.
  4. Remove the brake rotors.
  5. Remove the propeller shaft.

1. Measure the amount of torque required to rotate the pinion. Use an inch-pound torque wrench. Record this measurement for reassembly. This will give the combined preload for the following components:

1. Place an alignment mark between the pinion and the pinion yoke.

1. Install the J8614-01 as shown.
  2. Remove the pinion nut while holding the J8614-01.
  3. Remove the washer.

1. Install the J8614-3 (2) and the J8614-2 (3) into the J8614-01 (1) as shown.
  2. Remove the pinion yoke by turning the J8614-3 (3) clockwise while holding the J8614-01 (1).Use a container in order to retrieve the lubricant.
  3. Remove the pinion oil seal. Use a suitable seal removal tool. Do not damage the housing.

Installation Procedure

1. Install a new pinion oil seal using the J33782, 8.0 inch axle or the J38694 8.6 inch axle.
  2. Apply sealant GM P/N 12346004 (Canadian P/N 10953480) or equivalent to the splines of the pinion yoke.

1. Install the pinion yoke. Align the marks made during removal.
  2. Seat the pinion yoke onto the pinion shaft by tapping it with a soft-faced hammer until a few pinion shaft threads show through the yoke. Notice: Do not hammer the pinion flange/yoke onto the pinion shaft. Pinion components may be damaged if the pinion flange/yoke is hammered onto the pinion shaft.
  3. Install the washer and a new pinion nut.

1. Install the J8614-01 onto the pinion yoke as shown.
  2. Tighten the pinion nut while holding the J8614-01. Tighten the nut until the pinion end play is just taken up. Rotate the pinion while tightening the nut to seat the bearings. Notice: Refer to Fastener in Service Precautions. Important: If the rotating torque is exceeded, the pinion will have to be removed and a new collapsible spacer installed.

1. Measure the rotating torque of the pinion. Compare this measurement with the rotating torque recorded during removal. Tighten the nut in small increments, as needed, until the rotating torque is 0.40 - 0.57 Nm (3 - 5 inch lbs.) greater than the rotating torque recorded during removal.
  2. Once the specified torque is obtained, rotate the pinion several times to ensure the bearings have seated. Recheck the rotating torque and adjust if necessary.
  3. Install the propeller shaft.
  4. Install the brake rotors.
  5. Install the brake calipers.
  6. Install the tire and wheel assemblies.
  7. Inspect and add axle lubricant to the axle housing, if necessary.
  8. Lower the vehicle.

Steve, Serious Motor Head
Experience: 30 plus years of automotive service and repair experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi steve the trailblazer has about 72,000 miles on it and I know the leak is coming from seal-yoke area.does the rolling tourge effect the seal?
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.
Hello, The torque could affect the seal is not deep (tight) enough. But you did not mention any clunking or backlash. I think the yoke requires a real close examination. If you mave a michrometer or similar measuring device measure the area on the yoke that makes contact with the seal. Let me know how it goes. Steve T
Steve, Serious Motor Head