Steve, Serious Motor Head
Experience:  30 plus years of automotive service and repair experience.

2003 chevy trailblazer: shimmy/vibration..front end..test

2003 chevy trailblazer-I have a shimmy/vibration in the front end that gets worse and much more noticable at higher speeds 65-70 vs 50-55. This has been an ongoing problem for well over a year. I took it to a garage and had a mechanic test drive it and they rotated the tires. The truck drove better but I could still notice a shimmy. I thought about taking it in to have the tires balanced but only have maybe 5-10,000 miles wear left on them or wait until I buy new tires to see if that helps. Talking with a few backyard mechanics they said it could be the tie rods or ball joints. How would I be able to determine if one of those is the problem? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Jeff
HelloCustomerand welcome to just answer. It sounds as though what you are describing is a tire or wheel balance issue. Out of balance wheel conditions can be mile per hour related usually no lower than 45 mph. If your tie rod ends or ball joints were a cause you would typically feel that when hitting bumps or excess play in the steering. The check the front end for play,lift the weight from the front wheels and properly install jack stands and wheel stops. Place a bar under the tire and apply upward pressure on the bar, if movement is felt in excess of .015, closely inspect wheel bearings and ball joints. Next apply pressure on the front and rear tire side wall to check for free play, this will check the steering components such as tie rods, steering link, idler arm. perform this on each front wheel independently. Hope this helps. Steve T.