Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Certified Technician, 25 Years Automotive Experience
16282319

2001 chevy suburban: K 2500, 4x4, 8.1 liter..ABS..BRAKE lights

I drive a 2001 chevy suburban, K 2500, 4x4, 8.1 liter, Z 55 auto ride, 185000 km. Sometimes two warninglights (the ABS and the BRAKE lights) come on, and stay on, while i am driving, untill i stop the engine and start again, than they are gone. When it happens, the brakes are working fine and the ABS does not work. Still every time when it happens, you are asking yourself, do the brakes still work??
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.
Hi and thanks for your question! Yes the base brakes still work! The ABS computer is seeing a problem and it is turning on the fault lights and turning off the ABS. You will need to have it scanned and get a fault code. Ken
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Ken,
that is exactly what i did, i went to the chevy garage, they scanned and told me;
there is something wrong in the computer of your Sub. They don't tell me what is wrong.
To replace the computer is very , very expensive. So what to do,??
But the real question is: is it dangerous to drive with this problem even when i tow my heavy travel trailer (12000 lbs) and i am driving in the Rockies ???
Thanks, Jacques
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.

It sounds like the EBCM went out. Call your local dealer and find out what the part # XXXXX XXXXX that EBCM. Then ask him what is the year range for that part #. Example is,(NNN) NNN-NNNNis the part# and it was used on 2004-2006 trucks and suvs. Then you can check your local recking yards and on ebay. This is one way to save your self some money. You will have to decide if this is safe to drive. It will not hurt the suburban. It just might be harder to stop in a panic situation. Ken

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Ken, It seems to me that you know your stuff, because the garage wrote on the invoice:
-checked for dtc's(what is this), has dtc c 0265 in history, -ebcm (what does that mean) problem- checked for related psb's - found #04-05-25-002d-instructs to repair poor ebcm ground.- cleaned ebcm ground terminal., reinstalled and cleared codes-
Still, the problem is still there. Ken, will you please translate this "language" for me, so i can try to understand. Have you any idea of cost for a new EBCM and is the problem over than?? Thank you so much.
Jacques.
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.
This is a copy of the bulletin they did for you. More information comming. Ken 2001 Chevrolet Chevy Suburban - 4WD | Sierra, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
#04-05-25-002E: ABS Light On, DTCs C0265, C0201, U1041 Set and/or Loss of Communication with Brake Module (Reground EBCM Ground) - (Mar 11, 2009)

Subject:ABS Light On, DTCs C0265, C0201, U1041 Set and/or Loss of Communication with Brake Module (Reground EBCM Ground)

Models:2004-2007 Buick Rainier
2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade ESV
1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic
2000-2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe
2002-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche
2002-2007 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT
2003-2006 Chevrolet SSR
1999-2007 GMC Sierra Classic
2000-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL
2002-2007 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL, Sierra Denali Classic
2004-2005 GMC Envoy XUV
2002-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada

This bulletin is being revised to add step 2 to the procedure and update the Parts and Warranty Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-05-25-002D (Section 05 -- Brakes).

Condition

Some customers may comment that the ABS light is on. Upon further inspection, DTCs C0265 and C0201 may be set in the brake module. It is also possible for DTC U1041 to set in other modules. There may also be a loss of communication with the brake module.

Cause

A poor connection at the EBCM ground is causing unnecessary replacement of brake modules.

Important: The EBCM ground is different for each application. Refer to the list below for the proper ground reference:

Midsize Utilities = Ground 304
SSR = Ground 400
Fullsize Trucks and Utilities = Ground 110

Correction

Important: Do not replace the brake module to correct this condition. Perform the following repair before further diagnosis of the EBCM.

Perform the following steps to improve the connection of the EBCM Ground:

1. Remove the EBCM Ground. The EBCM Ground is located on the frame beneath the driver's side door. If multiple grounds are found in this location, the EBCM ground can be identified as the heavy (12-gauge) wire.
  2. If the original fastener has a welded on nut, remove the nut from the frame, and if required, enlarge the bolt hole to accommodate the new bolt and nut.
  3. Clean the area, front and back, using a tool such as a *3MTM Scotch-BriteTM Roloc disc or equivalent.
  4. Install the ground, then the washer and then the bolt to the frame.

Important: It is important to use the bolts, washers and nuts specified in this bulletin. These parts have been identified due to their conductive finish.

5. Install a washer and nut to the back side of the frame.

Tighten
    Tighten the nut to 9 N·m (79 lb in).

6. Cover the front and back side of the repair area using Rubberized Undercoating.

An additional check can be made to ensure a good connection for the battery cable to frame ground. It is possible for this ground to cause similar symptoms with the ABS as described above.

*We believe this source and their products to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such products/materials. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for or assume any responsibility for the products or material from this firm or for any such items that may be available from other sources.

Parts Information

FULL-SIZE TRUCKS, SUVs AND H2

Part Number

Description

11588564

Bolt

11609679

Washer

11609746

Nut

12378398

(in Canada, 10952414)

Rubberized Undercoating -- Paintable

29214

**3MTM Scotch-BriteTM Roloc disc

MIDSIZE SUVs

Part Number

Description

11588337

Nut

11610367

Washer

11503749

Nut

12378398

(in Canada, 10952414)

Rubberized Undercoating -- Paintable

29214

**3MTM Scotch-BriteTM Roloc disc

**This product is currently available from 3M. To obtain information for your local retail location, please call 3M at 1-800-364-3577.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

N9502*

Ground Repair - EBCM Ground

0.3 hr

*This is a unique labor operation number for bulletin use only. The number will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.

First let me say that they did they took the right steps. I would have done the bulletin first then gone on to diagnose the fault code. C0265 is a fault inside the EBCM{ ABS computer}. If this code sets you are to replace the EBCM. I have attached the Diag information for this code. Ken

Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: GM Certified Technician, 25 Years Automotive Experience
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.
That should help you under stand more about the fault. Are you on the road trying to get home? The ABS system only works when in a panic stop. 99% of the time it is watching the wheel speeds for a locking up wheel. It does nothing until it sees a wheel lock up. Ken