DriverDave
DriverDave, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  29 Years experience Foreign and Domestic including GM & Cadillac Dealer
16810581

how to replace a throttle position sensor on a cavalier

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  DriverDave replied 7 years ago.

sparky

Can you tell me a year & engine size?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
its a 94 with a 4 cyl. 2.2L i believe

What exactly are you asking? Are you familiar whith what, and where it's located? And why do you need to replace it?

Just trying to get the full picture.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i got a trouble code saying the sensor was bad and i have a new one i need to know if there is anything special i need to do besides unbolt the old and install the new, any fine tuning that may need done anything that i might overlook as having not done it before.
Look at the sensor and tell me if the mounting holes are round, only the size of the screws, or does it look like they are slotted? In other words, does it look like it can be rotated slightly before tightening it down?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
unfortunatly i cant the vehicle is not at my house right now

OK,

First of all, Just because you have a code for TPS does not mean its a bad sensor. It can be out of adjustment (if it's adjustable). It can have a wiring issue, bad connection, broken or loose wire, bad connector, etc. It can also be a problem in the computer itself (not likely, but possible).

Do a visual inspection of the wiring going to the sensor. Also make sure the throttle plate opens and closes all the way with no binding and that the throttle body is clean inside.

If all looks ok, changing the TPS is not to expensive a fix to try. If there is no adjustment then you just put in on and your set. If it's slotted like I mentioned before, you will need a DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter) or a scanner to set it. With the DVOM on 12v scale, the middle (signal to ECM) wire should be just under 1 volt, then tighten the mounting screws.