Greg A
Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years
5229702

Fuel filter on a 2004 Chevy Classic and how do I change it?

Customer Question

Where is the fuel filter on a 2004 Chevy Classic and how do I change it?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

Hello & Welcome,

Here is the procedure to change the filter.

Fuel Filter Replacement

Removal Procedure

Important

There is no service interval for fuel filter replacement. Only replace the fuel filter if the filter is restricted. Inspect the fuel tank internally and clean the fuel tank if you find a restricted fuel filter.

1. Relieve the fuel system pressure.
  2. Raise the vehicle.
    graphic

3. Disconnect the fuel filter fitting using a back-up wrench.

graphic
  4. Disconnect the quick connect fitting from the fuel filter.
  5. Remove the fuel filter.

Installation Procedure

graphic

1. Remove the protective caps from the new fuel filter.
  2. Install the fuel filter (2) in the same position as the old fuel filter.
  3. Connect the fuel filter quick connect fitting.

Notice

Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

4. Connect the fuel filter fitting (3) using a back-up wrench. Tighten

Tighten the fuel filter fitting to 27 N·m (20 lb ft).

5. Lower the vehicle.
  6. Connect the negative battery cable.
  7. Inspect for fuel leaks using the following procedure:
    1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF for 2 seconds.
    2. Turn OFF the ignition for 10 seconds.
    3. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
    4. Inspect for fuel leaks.

.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Take Care, Greg A.

Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience: Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

When do you take the cable off? I assume at the beginning-first thing, right?

Also, how do you relieve the system pressure?

Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

Hi again,

You are correct - the negative battery cable is supposed to be removed at the beginning of the procedure, when you relieve the fuel pressure (see below).

Fuel Pressure Relief Procedure

Tools Required

J 34730-1A Fuel Pressure Gage

graphic

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Connect the J 34730-1A to the fuel pressure connection (located on the fuel rail).
  3. Install the bleed hose into an approved container and open the valve to bleed the system pressure. The fuel connections are now safe for servicing.
  4. Disconnect the fuel pressure gage from the fuel pressure connection.

.

Take Care, Greg A.