frank, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  33 years experience,24 years of Chevroler/GM experience and training .ASE Recertified Master Tech,

89 Chevy truck: park position..the wiper motor or the switch

The wipers on my 89 Chevy truck will not return to the park position. Is the problem in the wiper motor or the switch?.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  frank replied 7 years ago.
Do you have intermittent wipers and do they delay in the right spot?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No delay that I know of. However there is an opening in the end of the lever that I suspect may have housed the delay at one time. I've owned the vehicle for ten years and it been no problem. I just moved across the state line and it is an issue with the state inspection.
Expert:  frank replied 7 years ago.
The end of the stalk was for cruise control-twist the lever-if there are a bunch of tiny detents (4) then 2 bigger detents-low and high spped-it has deleay.Are they parking in the wrong spot or not shutting off?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Just parking in the wrong spot, which is fine with me but not the state. The markings on the lever dont appear to have anything other than off, high and low, but thers is wear ofter 20 years.
Expert:  frank replied 7 years ago.
Its the location of the park paw on the motor-not the switch is they run and then park in the same wrong spot.If it stops where you trun the switch off double check the power to teh motor-there should be power bthere at all times with the key on and again the shutting off is controled in the motor.Under that black cover is a circuit board weather or not it has delay the board will be marked-replace that board.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is the board a replaceable part or should I just replace the whole motor.
Expert:  frank replied 7 years ago.

Get the board first-they run $20.As long as the motor runs and shuts off its good.Now-back in 87 and 88 they had a body change and ran 2 different body styles-if you have the old box style pre 85 looking truck you have to get the wiper motor-the newer rounded front end 87-99 looking truck has a replaceable board-usually it has delay and that was a big problem and was even a recal out in 98 so its called a delay module.A none delay board looks just like a delay board but the delay will have delay printed on it.@ scresw and the cover comes off and teh module just pulls out.