scottyfum
scottyfum, Chevy Technician
Experience:  Factory trained General Motors Grand Master Technician with 12 years experience
9473634

How to replace astro van front door handle

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  scottyfum replied 5 years ago.
Hi,what year is the van. Thanks. Scott
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1999 front right (driver side) door handle.
Expert:  scottyfum replied 5 years ago.

Right front driver. O.k. I will provide you with a procedure. Thanks .Scott

Outside Handle and Lock Cylinder Replacement

Removal Procedure

Important: If door lock cylinders require replacement for any reason, apply a coating of GM P/N 12346241 or equivalent lubricant inside of the lock case and the cylinder keyway prior to assembling and installing the cylinder.

1. Remove the trim panel. Refer to Door Trim Panel Replacement .
  2. Use a sharp bladed tool in order to separate the water deflector at the perforations. Refer to Front Side Door Water Deflector Replacement .
  3. Remove the access hole plug (1).
  4. Remove the lock rod from the door handle.
  5. Remove the nuts from the door handle (4).
    Object Number: 327106  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  6. Remove the door handle from the door (2).
  7. Remove the lock rod from the lock cylinder (3).
  8. Remove the lock cylinder retainer.
  9. Remove the lock cylinder and the gasket (5) from the door.

Installation Procedure

Important: Install new plastic retainer clips whenever the lock rods are removed.

1. Install the gasket (5) and the lock cylinder to the door.
  2. Install the lock cylinder retainer .
  3. Install the lock rod to the lock cylinder.
    Object Number: 327106  Size: SH
  4. Install the handle to the door (2).

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

5. Install the nuts to the door handle (4).

Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to the door handle to 6 N·m (53 lb in).

6. Install the door handle lock rod to the handle.
  7. Install the access hole plug (1).
  8. Install the water deflector. Refer to Front Side Door Water Deflector Replacement .
  9. Install the trim panel. Refer to Door Trim Panel Replacement .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am a twelve year marine technician (Master Tech, 3 factories).
I just soent 3 hours trying to inmstall this stupid handle!
T get to the upper door handle nut you MUST unscrew the locking unit (three torque screws-T-27) and remove the control rods to lift, and rotate unit enough to get to this upper nut. Then after replacing the lock unit the rod to the new handle is inaccesable, when you rotate the lock unit the rod pops out of the lock unit and will not line up until the lock unit is back in place, again at this point with the lock unit secured you cannot get to the rod from the lock unit to the new handle?
Expert:  scottyfum replied 5 years ago.

These inside door handles are an absolute nightmare. They are the same on the full size trucks. You did remove the water deflector. You have to drill out the rivets. I have in the past removed the complete window,regulator and chanal just to make life easier on the trucks. Here is the link for the water deflector.Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Front Side Door Water Deflector Replacement

Removal Procedure

2. Use a 6 mm (0.24 in) drill bit in order to remove the head from the door bracket rivets.
  3. Remove the rivets that retain the bracket to the door.
    Object Number: 319106  Size: SH

Important: Water deflectors seal the inner panel. Water deflectors prevent water from entering into the body. A strip of adhesive between the deflector and the door secures the deflector.

4. In order to remove the water deflector, several components need to be removed first. Remove the armrest bracket.
  5. Remove the lock lever.
    Object Number: 319109  Size: SH
  6. Use a soft-faced scraper in order to peel the water deflector away from the door.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 319106  Size: SH

Important: When replacing deflectors which have been peeled back or removed, the adhesive on the door and the deflector from the factory will usually be adequate in order to re-adhere the deflector to the door. If additional adhesive is required, use a small amount of weatherstrip adhesive, such as GM P/N 12345096, Canadian P/N 993365, or an equivalent adhesive. If the deflector was separated at a perforation, use a cloth reinforced tape with a strong adhesive in order to secure the piece together. Replace the deflector if the deflector is too badly damaged to provide a proper seal.

1. Install the water deflector.
  2. Install the lock lever.
  3. Install the armrest bracket to the door.
  4. Install the 6 mm (1/4 in) rivets to the door.
  5. Install the trim panel. Refer to Door Trim Panel Replacement .