GMTechBernard, Shop Foreman - GM World Class Tech
Experience:  GM

T.d.c 5.7 where does rotor point to on cap, i..timing..distributor

Customer Question

when t.d.c 5.7 where does rotor point to on cap, i know it goes to number 1 before or after notch on cap? does cap need to be exactly parallel because i know this motor is self-timing cant seem to get it t.d.c'd and drop distributor in, where should rotor point, i have moved oil pump gear or have adjusted oil pump gear.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GMTechBernard replied 7 years ago.
Hello! I assume this is a 1996 or later 5.7L engine? The fact that you asked if the cap needs to be parallel indicates that it is, but I want to make sure so I get you the right info!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
its a 1997 chevy tahoe eighth vin "R" 5.7 self adjusting timing

OK, with the engine at #1 compression TDC (you must verify its on the compression stroke), you will need to line the distributor up. There is a dimple on the the distributor gear, and it must line up with the paint mark on the distributor housing (callout #3)

As you drop it in, the rotor will turn, and at its final resting spot, should be pointing to a "8" cast into the top of the housing. You may need to rotate the housing to get them to line up.