Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
4976144

96 chevy blazer: 4.3 vortex, I..fuel pressure regulator..plenum

Customer Question

96 chevy blazer, 4.3 vortex, I need the location of the fuel pressure regulator, I have the plenum off but can't find.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Here is what it looks like and it's located on the end of the fuel metering body under the upper plenum.

Fuel Pressure Regulator Replacement (Central SFI)

Removal Procedure

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to Fuel Pressure Relief Procedure .
  3. Remove the upper manifold assembly. Refer to Engine Mechanical.

Disassemble Procedure

Object Number: 12911  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.

Important: If the fuel pressure regulator is to be reinstalled, inspect the filter screen (if equipped) for contamination. If the filter screen is contaminated, remove and discard.

1. Disassemble the fuel pressure regulator snap ring retainer.
    Object Number: 12912  Size: SH
  2. Disassemble the regulator assembly and the O-rings.
  3. Discard the O-rings.

Assemble Procedure

Object Number: 12912  Size: SH
  1. Lubricate the new O-rings with clean engine oil.
  2. Install the backup O-ring, the large O-ring, the filter and the small O-ring.
    Object Number: 12911  Size: SH
  3. Assemble the regulator with the vacuum tube pointing down into the snap ring retainer.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the upper manifold assembly. Refer to Engine Mechanical.
  2. Connect the negative battery cable.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
First let me tell you, I used to hold a master mechanic certification. I worked on Fords mainly, so I'm not a novice when it comes to auto repair, I just don't do it that much any more. That being said, I'm still confused because I'm just not seeing this regulator. You stated it is on the end of the fuel metering body. Is this the assembly located in the center and to the rear of the cavity under the upper plenum?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Yes, that is correct. It uses manifold vacum inside the upper plenum to control fuel delivery that's why there's no vacum lines going to it. Do you have a specific problem or concern that deems the pressure regulator to be replaced?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, It will not start when it is cold without using ether. When it is warm it starts fine. The fuel pressure is from the pump is good.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
By fine do you mean 55-62 psi key on engine off and not dropping more than 5 psi in 10 minutes? If within specs suspect that pressure regulator. But, is the concern only at startup or are there ever misfires, check engine light, lack of power, etc.?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, the fuel pressure is in this range, did not test for bleed down after 5 minutes. Also replace the sensor for fuel enrichment. There are no miss fires or lack of power or check engine lights.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Check that bleed down and if ok suspect a faulty pressure regulator.

Dan, Auto Technician
Experience: GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Dan
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
You are very welcome and best of luck. Glad I could help and thanks for using JA.