Eric, Master Technician/shop foreman
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, 25 years experience, Over400 General Motors certifications
3077897

2002 chevy Blazer: rear hatch is jammed...pannel..motor and latch

Customer Question

I have a 2002 chevy Blazer. The rear hatch is jammed. How do I remove the inside pannel from the loer part of the hatch to access the motor and latch to fix it myself at home?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

Hi, i need to know what style of rear hatch you have, Does the rear glass open up and the endgate go down? or do both the glass and the endgate lift up when they are working normally? Also is this a Blazer or a Trailblazer? Let me know and i will try to help you out. Thanks Eric

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Eric yes the glass lifts up and then gate goes down. It is the glass that is stuck and won't open. This is a 2002 Blazer (not a trailblazer). It is all electric - the hatch can be opened by pushing a button on the rear hatch, or using a button on the front dash, or using the key fob. We have tried all 3 and the glass will not pop up, which means we also cannot lower the hatch part. vin # XXXXX hope this is enough.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

Okay, when you push either the button on dash, or the key fob, do you hear the actuator making noise in the endgate?. If not we may have an electrical problem with the actuator. If its working and the latch for the glass is jammed, its gonna be tough to open without damaging the rear panel. I looked into trying to remove the top glass hinges, but you can access them with the glass down, also looked at removing the lower panel from the inside, but again you can access some of the screws with the gate closed. Let me know about the actuator, if you hear it or not. Ill keep looking for a way on my end.

Thanks ERic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, we can hear the actuator making noise. It sounds like it wants to open, but can't.