Travis
Travis, Chevy Technician
Experience:  7+ years of GM dealership experience, GM ASEP trained, Assoc. Degree in Auto. Tech.
14792462

Where is thermostat located and how to change on 2.2 ECOTEC

Where is thermostat located and how to change on 2.2 ECOTEC engine. Car parts place said to take off exhaust manifold to get to it, and I have it off but can't find.

Thanks for the question.

What year and model Chevy do you have?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have a 2004 Olds Alero. The original engine was replaced by this used one. I don't know what car it was taken from-it was done by a dealer. It has been overheating and I thought the thermostat would be the cheapest and easiest fix. I bought the thermostat based on the 2004 Alero 2.2 engine, so I hope this is the right one.

Thats ok, it should be the same style 2.2 engine.

Click here for the instructions on how to replace the thermostat.

Also, there are many things that can cause an overheat condition. Make sure you check the oil and verify that it is not a milky brown cooler, as well, make sure there is not oil mixing in with the coolant system. But a thermostat is the cheapest place to start.

Thanks,

Travis