ZZDaryl
ZZDaryl, Chevy Technician
Experience:  28 year experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

2004 chevrolet tahoe: malfunction..gas pedal..the odometers needle

Customer Question

Our 2004 chevrolet tahoe is having an odometer malfunction. I don't know if this is connected to the gas pedal. I was driving home from work and I kept 65 to 70 miles per hour limit and all of a sudden the odometer's needle is pointing all the way down to 110. I got panick a bit but I try to slow down but it won't go down. Even when I reach a stop light, the needle just stayed at 120 instead. Is this some kind of manufacturing malfunction or do I have to pay for the mechanic to fix this problem. Would appreciate some answes. Thanks...
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 7 years ago.
This is a very common problem on 2004 GM vehicles, GM has extended the warranty for this problem to 70,000 miles or 7 years so if your vehicle falls under that you can likely get it repaired at a dealer under warranty.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I believe we have reached over 70k miles even though it's not 7 years old yet. Can i still get it repaired at a dealer under warranty?
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 7 years ago.
Probably not if it is over the 70,000 miles, some dealerships may have in the past if you were close but with the shape of GM these days you would not likely get it covered if you are over the 70,000 miles. I have seen these repaired for around $250.00
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

before I will accept so you will get paid, can you give some idea what causes this malfunction? Just curious....

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 7 years ago.
Sorry I should have said that the problem is in the instrument cluster, it will need to be removed and sent out (to a shop that repairs instrument clusters) to be repaired or replaced.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much.....
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 7 years ago.
Thank you and good luck with your repair.