Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering
2947720

98 chevy camaro: v6..it is the fuel pressure sensor low voltage

I have a 98 chevy camaro v6 3.8 liter. I'm getting a code 452 wich is telling me in my service manual that it is the fuel pressure sensor low voltage. Were is the pressure sensor located. I can not find it in the manual. Also when i press the gas while in park as i get to 4thousand rpm it starts hesitating what is causing this. thanks J fowler
Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

The fuel tank pressure sensor is in the gas tank. Right at where the fuel pump assembly is. Whenever the service light is on and there is a problem in the system it will not run at peak performance, however, the hessitating at 4000 rpms in park might just be the rev limiter.

graphic

REMOVAL PROCEDURE
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Perform Fuel Pressure Release Procedure.
  3. Drain fuel tank.
  4. Remove the fuel tank.
  5. Remove the electrical connector from the fuel tank pressure sensor.
  6. Remove the fuel tank pressure sensor (10) from the modular fuel sender.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the new fuel tank pressure sensor (10) to the modular fuel sender.
  2. Install the electncal connector to the fuel tank pressure sensor.
  3. Install the fuel tank.
  4. Refill the fuel tank.
  5. Install the negative battery cable.

DESCRIPTION
The fuel tank pressure sensor is used to detect small leaks in the evaporative emission system. The fuel tank pressure sensor is a three wire strain gauge sensor much like that of the common GM MAP sensor. However, this sensor has very different electrical characteristics due to its pressure differential design. The sensor measures the difference between the air pressure (or vacuum) in the fuel tank and the outside air pressure. The sensor mounts at the top of the fuel tank. A three wire electrical harness connects it to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

OPERATION
The PCM supplies a five volt reference voltage and ground to the sensor. The sensor will return a voltage between 0.1 and 4.9 volts. When the air pressure in the fuel tank is equal to the outside air pressure, such as when the fuel fill cap is removed, the output voltage of the sensor will be 1.3 to 1.7 volts.

graphic