Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
4976144

my car stalls when i come to a red light , i have to put it

Customer Question

my car stalls when i come to a red light , i have to put it in nutral and keep my foot on the gas.then when i excellerate , there is no power,it almost stalls,and i have to floor it to get going,
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Does the engine and transmission operate normally except when coming to a stop? Any trouble codes or is the check engine light ever on? Is a scan tool available to check the TCC solenoid and find out if it's possibly staying engaged causing the engine to stall when stopping?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i dont have a tool to check solenoid, will ask my mechanic friend ,when he is here. the car doesnt stall untill ive been sitting at a red light for at least a few mins. then ireally have to step on the gas to get going. yes, the check engine is on and off and on again. read the codes and have been tryung to fix, but havent found the exact problem.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Ok, check out that TCC solenoid operation and trouble codes setting. I really need those codes as they are probably related and may be the cause of your problem. Do you know if the cat. converter has been check for a blockage?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no, the cat converter has not been checked yet.. i can go get a current reading on the codes if you can wait about ten mins.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Sure, no problem.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the code ; 4flashes-5flashes
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
If you can wait till tomorrow when I have access to more info on your car including diagnsotic charts for trouble codes that would be great. I am limited here at home and have better resources at work, ok.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dan, computer had problems.lost touch with you . where is the tcc solenoid located on 1991 chevy cavalier/4 cylender? still have problem stalling at lights.plus i need to smog test this year. tracy trotter
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
The TCC solenoid is located internally to the transmission. A trained tech should check and test the TCC solenoid due to the degree of difficulty accessing it.