Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

The brakes and calipers on his 1998 Silverado..diagram

My husband is replacing the brakes and calipers on his 1998 Silverado. He didn't look closely when taking them apart and is having some difficulty. Have been trying to find a diagram of how they should be. Have any advice on obtaining a diagram quickly (like as soon as possible today)? Thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Front or rear brakes, 2 or 4wd?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Rear brakes on 2 wheel-drive truck, 5.7
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Just want to make sure - rear brake pads and calipers, not rear brake shoes and wheel cylinders(different brake systems-both available on his truck)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Receipt says wheel cylinder, drum hardware kit, and brake shoes. He was a mechanic for 30 years, but had a bit of a memory problem sometimes now. Thanks! If I can just get a diagram things will be great.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Ok, there are 2 different rear drum brake assemblies but you can compare parts to diagrams and know instantly which diagram is for yours:

graphic

graphic

Additional info to help:

Wheel cylinders:

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 and 2

1. Raise and support the vehicle using jackstands.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1: Remove the bolts securing the wheel cylinder to the backing plate

1. Remove the wheel and tire.
  2. Back off the brake adjustment if necessary and remove the drum.
  3. Disconnect and plug the brake line.
  4. Remove the brake shoes as described above.
  5. Remove the bolts securing the wheel cylinder to the backing plate.
  6. Install the wheel cylinder. Tighten the mounting bolts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm). Tighten the brake pipes to 13 ft. lbs. (17 Nm). Bleed the system.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 2: Wheel cylinder replacement

Brake shoes and hardware:

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Duo-Servo

See Figures 1 through 9

1. Raise and securely support the vehicle using jackstands.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1: Exploded view of the duo-servo drum brake components

1. Loosen the parking brake equalizer enough to remove all tension on the brake cable.
  2. Remove the brake drums.

WARNING The brake pedal must not be depressed while the drums are removed!

1. Using a brake tool, remove the shoe return springs. You can do this with ordinary tools, but it isn't easy.
  2. Remove the shoe guide.
  3. Remove the hold-down pins. These are the brackets which run though the backing plate. They can be removed with a pair of pliers. Reach around the rear of the backing plate and hold the back of the pin. Turn the top of the pin retainer 45° with the pliers. This will align the elongated tang with the slot in the retainer. Be careful, as the pin is spring loaded and may fly off when released. Use the same procedure for the other pin assembly.
  4. Remove the adjuster actuator assembly.
  5. Remove the actuator lever adjuster spring and link.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 2: Using a brake tool, remove the shoe return springs

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 3: Remove the self-adjuster actuator spring

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 4: Remove the link from the secondary shoe by pulling it from the anchor pin

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 5: Remove the hold-down pins

1. Remove the parking brake strut and the strut spring.
  2. Remove the shoes from the backing plate. Make sure that you have a secure grip on the assembly as the bottom spring will still exert pressure on the shoes. Slowly let the tops of the shoes come together and the tension will decrease and the adjuster and spring may be removed.

If the linings are to be reused, mark them for identification.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 6: Remove the shoes from the backing plate

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 7: Remove the parking brake strut and spring

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 8: Remove the rear parking brake lever from the secondary shoe using a pair of pliers

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 9: It's always a good idea to lay all the parts out as they come off

1. Remove the rear parking brake lever from the secondary shoe. Using a pair of pliers, pull back on the spring which surrounds the cable. At the same time, remove the cable from the notch in the shoe bracket. Make sure that the spring does not snap back or injury may result.

To install:

1. Use a brake cleaning fluid to remove dirt from the brake drum. Check the drums for scoring and cracks. Have the drums checked for out-of-round and service the drums as necessary.
  2. Check the wheel cylinders by carefully pulling the lower edges of the wheel cylinder boots away from the cylinders. If there is excessive leakage, the inside of the cylinder will be moist with fluid. If there is any leakage at all, a cylinder overhaul is in order. DO NOT delay, as a brake failure could result.

A small amount of fluid will be present to act as a lubricant for the wheel cylinder pistons.

1. Check the flange plate, which is located around the axle, for leakage of differential lubricant. This condition cannot be overlooked as the lubricant will be absorbed into the brake linings and brake failure will result. Replace the seals as necessary.

If new linings are being installed, check them against the old units for length and type.

1. Check the new linings for imperfections.

CAUTION It is important to keep your hands free of dirt and grease when handling the brake shoes. Foreign matter will be absorbed into the linings and result in unpredictable braking.

1. Lightly lubricate the parking brake and cable and the end of the parking brake lever where it enters the shoe. Use high temperature, waterproof, grease or special brake lube.
  2. Install the parking brake lever into the secondary shoe with the attaching bolt, spring washer, lockwasher, and nut. It is important that the lever move freely before the shoe is attached. Move the assembly and check for proper action.
  3. Lubricate the adjusting screw and make sure that it works freely. Sometimes the adjusting screw will not move due to lack of lubricant or dirt contamination and the brakes will not adjust. In this case, the adjuster should be disassembled, thoroughly cleaned, and lubricated before installation.
  4. Connect the brake shoe spring to the bottom portion of both shoes. Make certain that the brake linings are installed in the correct manner, the primary and secondary shoe in the correct position. If you are not sure remove the other brake drum and check it.
  5. Install the adjusting mechanism below the spring and separate the top of the shoes.
  6. Make the following checks before installation:
    1. Be certain that the right hand thread adjusting screw is on the left hand side of the vehicle and the left hand screw is on the right hand side of the vehicle.
    2. Make sure that the star adjuster is aligned with the adjusting hole.
    3. The adjuster should be installed with the starwheel nearest the secondary shoe and the tension spring away from the adjusting mechanism;
    4. If the original linings are being reused, put them back in their original locations.

7. Install the parking brake cable.
  8. Position the primary shoe (the shoe with the short lining) first. Secure it with the hold-down pin and with its spring by pushing the pin through the back of the backing plate and, while holding it with one hand, install the spring and the retainer using a pair of needlenose pliers. Install the adjuster actuator assembly.
  9. Install the parking brake strut and the strut spring by pulling back the spring with pliers and engaging the end of the cable onto the brake strut and then releasing the spring.
  10. Place the small metal guide plate over the anchor pin and position the self-adjuster wire cable eye.

CAUTION The wire should not be positioned with the conventional brake installation tool or damage will result. It should be positioned on the actuator assembly first and then placed over the anchor pin stud by hand with the adjuster assembly in full downward position.

1. Install the actuator return spring. DO NOT pry the actuator lever to install the return spring. Position it using the end of a screwdriver or another suitable tool.

If the return springs are bent or in any way distorted, they should be replaced.

1. Using the brake installation tool, place the brake return springs in position. Install the primary spring first over the anchor pin and then place the spring from the secondary show over the wire link end.
  2. Pull the brake shoes away from the backing plate and apply a thin coat of high temperature, waterproof, grease or special brake lube in the brake shoe contact points.

CAUTION Only a small amount is necessary. Keep the lubricant away from the brake linings.

1. Once the complete assembly has been installed, check the operation of the self-adjusting mechanism by moving the actuating lever by hand.
  2. Turn the star adjuster until the drum slides over the brakes shoes with only a slight drag. Remove the drum.
  3. Turn the adjuster back 1 1 / 4 turns.
  4. Install the drum and wheel.
  5. Adjust the brakes.
  6. If necessary, adjust the parking brake.

Leading/Trailing

See Figures 10, 11, 12

1. Jack up and securely support the vehicle using jackstands.
  2. Loosen the parking brake equalizer enough to remove all tension on the brake cable.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 10: Exploded view of the leading/trailing drum brake-C/K Series

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 11: Push the parking brake lever off its stop-C/K Series

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 12: Removing the adjuster actuator-C/K Series

1. Remove the brake drums. If difficulty is till encountered, remove the access hole plug in the backing plate and insert a metal rod to push the parking brake lever off its stop.

1. Raise the lever arm of the actuator until the upper end is clear of the slot in the adjuster screw. Slide the actuator off the adjuster pin.
  2. Disconnect the actuator from the brake shoe.
  4. Pull the lower ends of the shoes apart and lift the lower return spring over the anchor plate. Remove the spring from the shoes.
  5. Lift the shoes and upper return spring along with the adjusting screw, from the backing plate. Some spreading of the shoes is necessary to clear the wheel cylinder and axle flange. Remove the upper spring.
  6. Remove the retaining ring, pin, spring washer and parking brake lever.

To install:

1. Install the parking brake lever assembly The concave side of the washer should be against the shoe.
  2. Install the adjuster pin in the shoe so that the pin projects 0.268-0.276 in. (6.8-7.0mm) from the side of the shoe where the actuator is installed.
  3. Apply an approved brake lubricant grease to the threads of the adjuster screw, socket and socket face.
  4. Make certain that the brake linings are positioned correctly and connect the upper spring. If you are not sure of which shoe goes where, remove the other brake drum and check it. Don't over-stretch the spring; you'll ruin it. The spring can't be stretched, safely, more than 8.04 in. (204mm).
  5. Install the adjusting mechanism between the shoes. Make the following checks before installation:
    1. Be certain that the adjusting screw assembly engages the adjuster shoe and parking brake lever.
    2. Make sure that the spring clip is positioned towards the backing plate.
    3. The linings are in the correct positions. The shoe with the parking brake lever is the rear shoe.

6. Coat the shoe mounting pads on the backing plate with a thin coat of lithium grease.
  7. Position the assembly on the backing plate, engaging the upper shoe ends with the wheel cylinder pushrods.
  8. Hook the lower return spring into the shoe ends and spread the shoes, guiding the lower spring over the anchor plate. Don't over-stretch the spring; you'll ruin it. The spring can't be stretched, safely, more than 4 1 / 4 in. (108mm).
  9. Install the hold-down spring assemblies.
  10. Place the adjuster actuator over the end of the adjusting pin so its top leg engages the notch in the adjuster screw.
  11. Install the actuator spring. Make sure that the free end of the actuator engage the notch of the adjuster nut. Don't over-stretch the spring. Its maximum stretch is 3 1 / 4 in. (83mm).
  12. Connect the parking brake cable to the lever.
  13. Turn the star adjuster until the drum slides over the brakes shoes with only a slight drag. Remove the drum.
  14. Turn the adjuster back 1 1 / 4 turns.
  15. Install the drums and wheels.
  16. Adjust the brakes.
  17. Adjust the parking brake as necessary.

ADJUSTMENT

1. Raise the vehicle and support it with jackstands.
  2. Remove the adjusting hole cover from the rear of the backing plate.
  3. Insert a brake adjustment tool into the adjusting hole and turn the starwheel on the adjusting screw while turning the wheel by hand. Keep turning the starwheel until the wheel can just be turned by hand.
  4. On vehicles equipped with duo-servo drum brakes, back off the adjusting screw 33 times.
  5. On vehicles equipped with leading/trailing drum brakes, back off the adjusting screw 20 times.
  6. Perform this procedure at both wheels.
  7. Install the adjusting hole cover and check the parking brake adjustment.
  8. Lower the vehicle.
  9. Make the final adjustment by driving the vehicle very slowly in reverse and pumping the brakes until the self-adjusting mechanisms adjust to the proper level and the brake pedal reaches satisfactory height.
  10. Road test the vehicle.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

To view diagrams in full size and download them that way, under each diagram is the phrase "VIEW FULL SIZE" . Click on those words and it will blow diagrams up in a new window for you