Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

replacing timing chain on a 1997 Chevy cavalier

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

2.2 or 2.4L engine?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2.2
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Below are directions:

Oil pan:

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

2.2L Engine

See Figure 1

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Drain the crankcase. Raise and support the front of the vehicle.
  3. Unfasten the exhaust shield and disconnect the exhaust pipe at the manifold.
  4. Remove the starter motor and position it out of the way.
  5. Remove the flywheel cover.
  6. On care equipped with automatic transaxle, remove the oil filter and extension.
  7. Unfasten the oil pan bolts and remove the oil pan.

graphic

Fig. Fig. 1: Oil pan installation

To install:

1. Prior to oil pan installation, check that the sealing surfaces on the pan, cylinder block and front cover are clean and free of oil. If installing the old pan, be sure that all old RTV hae been removed.
  2. Apply a 1 / 8 in. (3mm) bead of RTV sealant to the oil pan sealing surface. Use a new oil pan rear seal and apply a thin coat of RTV sealant to the ends of the gasket down to the ears and install the pan in place.
  3. Tighten the oil pan retaining bolts to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
  4. On care equipped with an automatic transaxle, replace the oil filter adapter seal and replace the oil filter adapter.
  5. Install the remaining components in the reverse order of removal.

Timing Cover:

2.2L Engine

See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6

The following procedure requires the use of a special tool.

1. Remove the serpentine belt and tensioner.

Although not absolutely necessary, removal of the right front inner fender splash shield will facilitate access to the front cover.

1. Install a suitable engine support fixture.
  2. Remove the engine mount assembly.
  3. Remove the alternator rear brace, then remove the alternator.
  4. Remove the power steering pump, then position it aside with the lines still attached.
  5. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  6. Remove the front two oil pan bolts.
  7. Remove the crankshaft pulley.
  8. Unfasten the front cover-to-block bolts and then remove the front cover. If the front cover is difficult to remove, use a plastic mallet to carefully loosen the cover.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1: Raise the vehicle, support it jackstands and remove the front two oil pan nuts

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 2: The front cover is attached to the engine with a number of small bolts

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 3: After unfastening the front cover bolts, remove the cover. You may have to gently pry between the cover and oil pan to break the seal to get the cover off

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 4: Location of the front cover retaining bolt holes and studs

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 5: Use a suitable puller to remove the oil seal

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 6: A sealer driver and a hammer can be used to install a new seal

To install:

1. The surfaces of the block and front cover must be clean and free of oil. Install a new gasket and install the front coverusing a centering tool (J-23042 or equivalent). Tighten the bolts to 97 inch lbs. (11 Nm).

When applying RTV sealant to the front cover, be sure to keep it out of the bolt holes.

1. Installation of the remaining components is in the reverse order of removal.

Timing Chain:

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

2.2L Engine

See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1: The timing marks on the sprockets should be in alignment. If not, turn the crankshaft until the marks are aligned

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 2: The timing chain tensioner is retained by a Torx head bolt (1) and a regular hex head bolt (2)

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 3: Unfasten the camshaft sprocket bolt

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 4: Remove the camshaft sprocket and the timing chain at the same time ...

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 5: ... then remove the tensioner assembly

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 6: Compress the tensioner spring and insert a cotter pin or nail in the hole provided to hold the tensioner in position

2. Remove the front cover as previously detailed.
  3. Place the No. 1 piston at TDC of the compression stroke so that the marks on the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets are in alignment (see illustration).
  4. Loosen the timing chain tensioner nut as far as possible without actually removing it.
  5. Remove the camshaft sprocket bolts and remove the sprocket and chain together. If the sprocket does not slide from the camshaft easily, a light blow with a soft mallet at the lower edge of the sprocket will dislodge it.
  6. Using a suitable gear puller, remove the crankshaft sprocket.

To install:

1. Press the crankshaft sprocket back onto the crankshaft.
  2. Install the timing chain over the camshaft sprocket and then around the crankshaft sprocket. Make sure that the marks on the two sprockets are in alignment (see illustration). Lubricate the thrust surface with Molykote® or its equivalent.
  3. Align the dowel in the camshaft with the dowel hole in the sprocket and then install the sprocket onto the camshaft. Use the mounting bolts to draw the sprocket onto the camshaft and then tighten to 66-68 ft. lbs. (91-95 Nm).
  4. Lubricate the timing chain with clean engine oil. Tighten the chain tensioner.
  5. Installation of the remaining components ie in the reverse order of removal.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its a 2.2
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

The directions I gave you are for a 2.2L, here they are again:

Below are directions:

Oil pan:

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

2.2L Engine

See Figure 1

5. Remove the flywheel cover.

graphic
View Full Image

Fig. Fig. 1: Oil pan installation

To install:

Timing Cover:

2.2L Engine

See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6

2. Remove the engine mount assembly.
  6. Remove the front two oil pan bolts.
  7. Remove the crankshaft pulley.

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

To install:

Timing Chain:

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

2.2L Engine

See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

To install:

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.