BigBob
BigBob, Shop manager/technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience
13327319

1986 chevrolet: replacing..wiper switch..pickup..it has tilt wheel

Customer Question

what do i need to know about replacing a wiper switch on my 1986 chevrolet pickup, it has tilt wheel
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BigBob replied 5 years ago.

Greetings,

I have uploaded the procedure here for you, let me know if I can help further.

Good luck,
Bob

please don’t forget to accept, I don’t get paid until you do

BigBob, Shop manager/technician
Experience: Shop Manager with 25 years experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other
i need to know how to replace wiper switch, not directional switch
Expert:  BigBob replied 5 years ago.
The wiper switch is part of the directional switch.

Bob
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
on my steering column they are two different pieces and seperate wiring
Expert:  BigBob replied 5 years ago.
Let me do a little farther research and find out about my information, maybe it is wrong.
I will get right back to you.

Bob
Expert:  BigBob replied 5 years ago.
Well apparently my onfo is wrong, and it's funny because I have a 92 Chevy truck that has the same wiper switch. This is in the turn signal lever. Do you have cruise control.

Bob
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  BigBob replied 5 years ago.
graphic

If you tie a wire to the old switch then you can pull the new one back through. The leve just pulls out.

graphic
Bob
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i'm not wanting to change the lever, i want to change the part that the lever goes into, and the wiring that goes down through the steering column
Expert:  BigBob replied 5 years ago.
That lever goes into the directional switch.

Bob
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry to be a bother, but i will have to get back with you tomorrow, and try to explain it a little bit better, thanks
Expert:  BigBob replied 5 years ago.
No problem let me know, we will get it.

Bob
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i went to rockauto.com and order the parts i need to fix this, these are the parts i orderd, airtex 1s4446 wiper switch, and airtex 6h1384 wiper motor pulse board module, the wiper switch is completely diferent from the directional switch, i know i have to take the directional switch out to get to it, but the signal lever plugs in to the piece i ordered, and has 7 wires coming out of it and plugs into the module board
Expert:  BigBob replied 5 years ago.
Let me see at work tommorow if I can find a factory manual and get you some more information.

Bob
Expert:  BigBob replied 5 years ago.
I looked at the manual and the reason it directs you to the turn signal switch is because you have to do that procedure to get to the wiper switch. The wiper switch is below the turn signal switch, once you get there you should be able to take the upper bowl off and remove the pin that holds the wiper switch. I have a picture of the breakdown but no scanner at work will upload when I get home tonite.

Bob