frank
frank, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  33 years experience,24 years of Chevroler/GM experience and training .ASE Recertified Master Tech,

what does check tire monitor mean and how do i check it

Category: Chevy
Expert:  frank replied 5 years ago.
What are you driving?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2004 chev tahoe 4x4 auto 17" wheels
Expert:  frank replied 5 years ago.
The tire monitors consist of 4 transmitters that are part of the valve stem and a reciever.Either one of your tires are low of a transmitter has died.In irder to check it start by checking you tire pressures to see if they match whats on the door tag-usually the tire pressure gauges are off and read low so set them for about 35 psi and drive it 2 miles above 30 mph.After that you are going to need a special tool that will ping the transmitter and read the pressure directly form them so you can see if its reading at all.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<address>i don't understand?? you said (In irder to check it start by checking you tire pressures ) and then then were do i get this tool, special tool that will ping the transmitter rent or buy.??</address>
Expert:  frank replied 5 years ago.
You need to make sure that the tires are aired up correctly first-the system is very touchy about tire pressures being low-then in order to test the transmitters you need a special tool-I dont think any body rents them and they run from $300-$1,000 for the tool.If the tire pressures are good-try a local tire store since most tire shops have the tool now and more then likly the sensor-they can check to see which one needs to be replaced-they have a battery inside of them and a inertial switch that activates when the tire rolls and the transmitters/ sensors do go bad.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if these sensors have batteries, when i buy tires new tires should or can i change the   <p>batteries</p>
Expert:  frank replied 5 years ago.

You only need to repace damaged or inopertive transmitters-like a light bulb-replace as they fail

frank, Chevrolet Technician
Experience: 33 years experience,24 years of Chevroler/GM experience and training .ASE Recertified Master Tech,