Jason
Jason, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10 Years in the feild, 8 years with GM, ASE Master Technician, and I love my job!
16468232

2000 chevy s10: my ignition switch..start position..disconnected

I just replaced my ignition switch in my 2000 chevy s10 but when i went to start it the key switch would not "spring" back from the start position nor would it start, i obiously disconnected something but i;m not sure what?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
Hello! I think you have the switch in the housing a tooth or two off. If you still have the old switch look at the gear on the top of it, take the new switch out and put that gear in the same place and reinstall it. You may have to play with it a little till you get it in the exact right spot. Otherwise when you turn the key to off and remove it you will still have accesory power. One tooth either way will affect it. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask! Thank you!
Jason, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 10 Years in the feild, 8 years with GM, ASE Master Technician, and I love my job!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

That worked but it springs back to soon, as soon as i turn the key from the off position it wants to turn over

Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
Ok , move it a couple of teeth the other way. There is a spot on the gear in the switch that has a tooth missing, its just a gap in the gear. See if you can take the switch out of the column and look up inside the cavity at the gear that turns with the key. Find the large tooth on that gear and line them up. It goes together like a puzzle and will only work properly when both gears are lined up right. Just a note, were the large tooth on the column side and the gap on the switch side line up will put the key in the accessory position. A good way to check if they are lined up is to install the switch and instead of turning it forward, turn it backward to the accessory position. If it doesn't move backward then its not lined up right. When it goes into the accessory position and the radio comes on it on the money! Try that. Please let me know what is happens! Thanks again!
Jason, ASE Certified Technician