Gregory F
Gregory F, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER & ASE L1 ADVANCED ENGINE PERFORM RECERTIFIED. G.M. WORLD CLASS TECH. 22+YRS CHEVY DEALER
12672917

2003 chevy: 4wd button red neutral light lit after 2wd orange..flashed

2003 chevy 4wd avalanche   pressed 4wd button red neutral light lit after 2wd orange flashed a few times now will not go into any drive position what can i do to get into gear
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gregory F replied 5 years ago.
Hello, you can try disconnecting the battery for a minute to see if it will reset the module. if the system is completely inop and wont reset, you willhave to remove the encoder motor ( which is what moves the lever in the transfer case ) and move it by hand to engage the gears so you can take to repair shop to have system diagnosed with a scan tool. it will be needed to check inputs to determine what happened. if you have access to a good quaility scanner I can help you run the diag chart tests
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok if the removal of the motor is done then what method should i need to put into gear ect. press ,pull ,screw? and how will i know it is in gear?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok last avenue of bussiness what is normal charge for this type of repair in private shop just to have a guidline for the repair bill been screwed enough with 4wd people by the way thanks for the quick reply you are so far on target and have my attention
Expert:  Gregory F replied 5 years ago.
A pair of medium size pliers or channel locks will turn the shaft that sticks out of the transfer case. it isnt hard to turn ( unless the internal gears in the transfer case is damaged, which isnt very likely ) these commonly have encoder motor problems. you can feel it as you turn to the different positions with the channel locks. if it is stuck in nuetral, I think 2wheel drive is 1 detente clockwise. there are only 4 positions, nuetral, 2wd, 4wd, 4wd lo. you will be able to feel when it engages into the detente
Expert:  Gregory F replied 5 years ago.
let me get some prices. be right back
Expert:  Gregory F replied 5 years ago.
if the problem is confirmed to be the encoder motor. the labor is 1 hour flat rate and the part price is around 700 dollars.
Gregory F, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE MASTER & ASE L1 ADVANCED ENGINE PERFORM RECERTIFIED. G.M. WORLD CLASS TECH. 22+YRS CHEVY DEALER