Travis
Travis, Chevy Technician
Experience:  7+ years of GM dealership experience, GM ASEP trained, Assoc. Degree in Auto. Tech.
14792462

2006 Chevy Impala: center console..the shifter trim..compartment

I am trying to remove the center console on my 2006 Chevy Impala LT. I have removed the two screws under the shifter trim, and the 4 screws in the compartment bin. The center console still will not come out. After some looking, I have found what appears to be two clips that are hidden around the shifter. When I use a flat head to depress these, the front of the console wants to come out, but the back still does not want to move. Any advice?

Thanks for the quesion.

• Remove the front floor console bin liner.
  •  

graphic

Apply the park brake and shift lever rearward. The sound deadener must be reinstalled if the wire harness is removed or replaced.

Once the 6 screws are out, then the back of the console should start coming up first. I may be caught in the mounting bracket below the console, but there are no other retainers that hold it in place.

graphic

Thanks,

Travis

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
    It still doesn't want to come out very easy. If it is caught on the mounting bracket, is there any easy way to remove it other than brute force?
    Thats strange. I have never had an issue with getting it out before. I suppose a little force will be needed. Try to spread the plastic near the bracket to try to help it clear.
    Customer: replied 7 years ago.
    That took care of it. It did have clips on it though, just to hold it in place until you get it out. Thanks for all of your help.