Jason, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10 Years in the feild, 8 years with GM, ASE Master Technician, and I love my job!

Im trying to bleed brakes on 2001 suburban 3/4 ton 4x4, started

Customer Question

I'm trying to bleed brakes on 2001 suburban 3/4 ton 4x4, started at right rear wheel, using vacuum pump bleeder. it pulled out all the fluid from cly. but i cant get any clean fluid to pull into cyl. what do i need to do? I am flushing old fluid, i sucked all the fluid i could out of master cyl. and refilled with new.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jason replied 7 years ago.
How many times have you added clean fluid to the master cylinder?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
just once, i sucked out old fluid and refilled. then went to rr wheel and hooked up bleeder and pulled fluid out, then it stopped like it is not getting any new fluid .
Expert:  Jason replied 7 years ago.
You mean you lost fluid flow all together or your just not getting any clean fluid? Does the vehicle have ABS?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes its 2001 suburban with abs, it lost flow all together, no clean fluid came out, just dirty fluid in wheel cly. the flow stopped. master cly. level did not drop.
Expert:  Jason replied 7 years ago.
Ok. These ABS systems are a little finicky. You will need another person for this bleed procedure. You will have to bleed it the old fashioned way. Your on the right track by starting at the right rear wheel. The left rear, then the right front, and finally the left front. Get someone to sit in the truck and very slowly press down the brake pedal and maintain pressure on the pedal with the bleeder open, then close the bleeder before they release the pedal. When they release the pedal tell them to do that slowly. Wait about 10 seconds before pushing the pedal again. There are valves in the ABS unit that will close themselves off if the pressures change too rapidly. The vacuum pump may have caused one of them to shut. Bleed each wheel out till you see clean fluid coming out. It may take as much as a pint at each wheel due to the length of the hydraulic lines in the ABS system. They say to top off the master cylinder every six pumps of the brake pedal. Try this and let me know if you have any other problems. This is a little time consuming but it is how GM says they want it done and it has never failed me. If there is anything else I can do for you please feel free to ask! Thank you!