Travis, Chevy Technician
Experience:  7+ years of GM dealership experience, GM ASEP trained, Assoc. Degree in Auto. Tech.

1999 Chevy Blazer: tune

What's the going rate for a tune up on a 1999 Chevy Blazer? I hear the parts involved are really hard to get to.

Thanks for the question.

The parts will not be hard to get. Any local auto parts store should have all you need, including....

- fuel filter ($10-$30)

- spark plugs ($3.00-$7.00 each)

- wires ($30.00-$50.00)

- cap ($27.00)

- rotor button ($12.00)

- pcv valve ($2.00)

- air filter ($12.00-$40.00)

* All prices based on, may change.

Labor will depend on whatever shop does the repair, but most, if not all of these things you can do yourself.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You say all of these I can do myself? I was under the impression that some of these parts were very very hard to get to.

Sure, if you have some mechanical know-how and a decent tool set, you should be able to perform the repairs.

All the parts I have listed above are typically for a regular tune-up, minus any fluid changes, like oil, trans, rear axle, etc.

As well, all parts listed are available for purchase at most local parts stores, or even a GM dealer (GM prices are usually higher). If the parts stores do not have one of the items, the can order it and usually have it the next day.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Mechanical know-how and tools I have in spades. Troubleshooting a car is a different story. I was just charged $499 or a tune-up for my Blazer. The prices were a little higher than the ones you listed, but at least in the ballpark. Then there was the $95 for service, the $65 for towing and the $75 for computer engine diagnostic. I think I could have done without the engine diagnostic.

If your check engine lamp was one, then a scan would be needed. As far as anything else, I cannot be sure about since I do not know what brand parts they used. Also, you have to figure in the labor time since a shop performed the repair. This weekend, I spent $300 in tune-up parts for my own car, but I didn't pay for labor. To be honest, I do not think you got "taken for a ride".

Thank you,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
well, i did need 6 sparkplugs. for some reason i always thought it was four, but i'm basing that on previous cars i've owned. there was no check engine light, but i'm willing to bet that they did the diagnostic to make sure that the tune up was the only thing wrong with the car. ok, i'm good. thanks again. and i'll track down that feedback area. i'll definitely be using this service again!

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX it. Glad to help.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Thanks again,