goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hybrid certified
5720312

where do i find the timing marks on a 2005 chey cavalier 2.2

Customer Question

where do i find the timing marks on a 2005 chey cavalier 2.2 eco motor and how do i set them? already now where they are on the cams
Category: Chevy
Expert:  goodwrench9124 replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and welcome to JA!! are installing a timing chain?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
had to change the front cam on the motor and now i need to reset the timing. seen the intake and exast > on cams but cant find the mark on the balancer and not sure which way to face them

Ok, these are a little tricky. also if the timing is not set correctly, engine damage will occur. the valve's will hit the pistons if mistimed. follow these instructions carefully.

the problem here is, the balancer does not have a timing mark. the cams and chain are supposed to be paint marked before removal. you may need to start from scratch. give me a few mintues while I upload the info!!

graphic

Install the crankshaft sprocket with timing mark at the 5 o'clock position.

graphic

Lower the timing chain through the opening in the top of the cylinder head. Carefully ensure that the chain goes around both sides of the cylinder block bosses (1, 2).

graphic

• Install the intake camshaft sprocket with the INT diamond at the 2 o'clock position.

Important: Always install NEW sprocket bolts.

• Hand tighten a NEW intake camshaft sprocket bolt.
  • Route the timing chain around the crankshaft sprocket with the matching colored link aligning with the timing mark.
  • Route the timing chain around the intake camshaft sprocket with the uniquely colored link (1) aligning with the INT diamond.
  •  

graphic

Install the exhaust camshaft sprocket with the timing chain matching colored link (3) at EXH triangle aligned at the 10 o'clock position.

graphic

• Use a 24 mm wrench to rotate the camshaft slightly, until exhaust sprocket aligns with the camshaft.

• Hand tighten the NEW exhaust camshaft sprocket bolt.
  •  

graphic

Install the timing chain upper guide.

Tighten
    Tighten the timing chain upper guide bolts to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

graphic

• Inspect the timing chain tensioner. If the timing chain tensioner, O-ring seal, or washer is damaged, replace the timing chain tensioner.
  • Measure the timing chain tensioner assembly from end to end.

A new tensioner should be supplied in the fully compressed non-active state. A tensioner in the compressed state will measure 72 mm (2.83 in) (a) from end to end. A tensioner in the active state will measure 85 mm (3.35 in) (a) from end to end.

•  

graphic

If the timing chain tensioner is not in the compressed state, perform the following steps:

26.1. Remove the piston assembly from the body of the timing chain tensioner by pulling it out.
    26.2. Install the J 45027-2 (2) into a vise.
    26.3. Install the notch end of the piston assembly into the J 45027-2 (2).
    26.4. Using the J 45027-1 (1), turn the ratchet cylinder into the piston.

graphic

• Inspect the bore of the tensioner body for dirt, debris, and damage. If any damage appears, replace the tensioner. Clean dirt or debris out with a lint-free cloth.
  • Install the compressed piston assembly back into the timing chain tensioner body until it stops at the bottom of the bore. Do not compress the piston assembly against the bottom of the bore. If the piston assembly is compressed against the bottom of the bore, it will activate the tensioner, which will then need to be reset again.
  • At this point the tensioner should measure approximately 72 mm (2.83 in) (a) from end to end. If the tensioner does not read 72 mm (2.83 in) (a) from end to end repeat steps 26.1 through 26.4.
  •  

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    ok sound great but how am i going to know that the crank shaft sprocket is at 5 when motor is in car can you see it from the top? timing chain is still painted 2 reds and a green/blue. not new to this just dont want to screw motor up have been working on motors all my life just used to old school where things were much easier

the ony way to know if the crank gear is at 5 oclock position is with the front cover off. normally the correct procedure is to make sure it is in the correct postions before you remove any timing components. in other words, at tdc before tearing apart. or the method I use is line everything up before taking apart, then paint mark everything. unfortually you are in a postion now you will probably have to remove the front cover to set up correctly. do you need the front cover removal instructions.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    please and thank you for all your help

you are quite welcome. Glad to help.

Remove the crankcase balancer

graphic

Remove the drive belt tensioner.

graphic

Remove the engine front cover to water pump bolt.

graphic

• Remove the remaining engine front cover bolts.
  • Remove the engine front cover.
    If the engine front cover gasket is damaged.
  •  

Please let me know if you need any further help with this!!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

sorry forgot to hit butten didnt mean to thank you again for all your help!

Customer/p>
    you are very welcome, did you get the timing chain installed ok?