Steve, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase master tech over 25 years

I need to change the transmission fluid & filter/screen in

I need to change the transmission fluid & filter/screen in my 4WD 2005 Chevy Tahoe Z71 with 5.3 EFI VORTEC V8 engine and 4-spd auto trans w/OD. Can you please tell me the part number for filter/screen and type & amount of transmission fluid I will need. THANK YOU! XXXXX PA (email:[email protected])
Your Tahoe should have the deep pan. It takes 7 quatrs of Dexron III fluid. here is the GM part number for the filter kit which is the filter and gasket.
71 - Deep Pan 24208576 $45.92
You will not be able to drain the torque converter. That is just the fluid in the pan. Always double check level when done.
Glad to help. Years ago mostly Ford converters had a drain plug. With lock up converters there is no way to drain them anymore.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THANKS again Steve!

One more question, do you have the ability to check by VIN to see whether I have the shallow or deep pan transmission?

Gregg Frank
Sorry but I do not have that ability. From my experiance the 4wds have the deeper pan for more fluid cooling capacity
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

THANK YOU again Steve, you were extremely helpful!

Gregg Frank

Pittsburgh, PA

[email protected]
Glad to be of help to you.