Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

rebuild the front end of a 2003 Avalanche

Customer Question

I want to rebuild the front end of a 2003 Avalanche, where could I get a complete list of parts to do the job?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
Are you refering to the steering or suspension? What type of problem are you having?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

170,000 miles vibration while driving sears won't realign front end because parts are worn, popping noises at low speed when turning, put front end on jack stands and was able to feel play in stearing, and A frames.

I want to get all the parts at one time, in order to have a new front end onthe truck. If not new a more stable front end.

Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.

Ok to rebuild the front end of this truck, I would recommend replacing the following:

#1 INNER TIE ROD ENDS (2)

#2 OUTER TIE ROD ENDS (2)

#3 IDLER ARM

#4 PITMAN ARM

#5 LOWER BALL JOINT (2)

#6 UPPER BALL JOINTS (2) My info shows that the upper ball joints come as a complete upper control arm from gm. Some aftermarket companies offer a replacement just as the actual joint itself.

These above items should tighten up the front of this vehicle. Normally there are the cause of problems like you are mentioning. Keep in mind also that on the drivers side frame rail there is a steering gear box which can also create the same problems as you have mentioned. I would recommend checking with SEARS to verify if they have inspected the looseness of the gear box to see if its acceptable. If you are looking to replace these parts with quality front end parts, I would only recommend MOOG chassis parts for this repair. This company produces better than or equal to OEM replacement parts. Feel free to contact me with any questions or problems! Good luck!