John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician
6408229

2009 Chevy Aveo: disable..the horn honk when using the keyless locking

Customer Question

2009 Chevy Aveo 2LT. How do I disable the horn honk when using the keyless locking? Can't find in the manual. Thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Try this.

Unlock the driver side door with the key, or depress the UNLOCK button on the transmitter in order to disarm the system after the system is fully armed or possibly tripped.

When the driver door is unlocked with a key, the tamper switch closes. This grounds the door's input to the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR). The system is then disarmed and the alarm state will not become active when the door is opened.

The remote control door lock receiver is an internal part of the RCDLR for the remote keyless entry (RKE) system. When the RCDLR receives a valid key transmission from the remote transmitter, it unlocks the doors. Therefore the RCDLR recognizes this in the same manner as a valid door lock switch disarm input.

Turning the ignition switch to any position out of LOCK will not disarm the system when the alarm is active.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
DId not work. Horn still sounds when locking doors with remote. Dealer said it is a very easy procedure of pushing and holding buttons on the remote that is in the manual to disable the horn honk. I do not see it. Maybe you can find out. thanks
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

If the system alarm is active, it can be deactivated using one of the following methods:

Press one of the buttons on the remote keyless entry transmitter.
Unlock the driver's or passenger's front door using the key.

Otherwise, the alarm will automatically stop after 30 seconds. The system will then lock the doors and rearm the theft-deterrent system.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am talking about the single "toot" of the horn when you lock the door with the remote. It is supposed to be easy to disable this so you just get the light flash and not disturb everyone within earshot. Sorry for the confusion.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
I have looked through the manual & I do not see a change for what you want.I suggest you go to the Dealer & have them show you exactly how the function is performed.I know this is probably not what you what to hear ,but it may be the best.