GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2003 Silverado and the airbag light is on and service

I have a 2003 Silverado and the airbag light is on and service airbag on the dash stays on. Can you help? If so would it be the bumper sensors or the sensor in the steering column.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.
Welcome. There could be any number of issues that would turn the light on , and without the code, it is hard to say which it is. There is one thing you can try first. Under the trim panel that the hood release is in, there is a yellow connector. With the key off, unhook that connector and then reconnect it. Turn the key on and see if the air bag light goes out after 7 flashes. If so, then you need that connector. If not, then you need to get the codes read and we can trace it down from there.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The code is B0100EFSI communication malfunction.. The light does not flash at all after starting th evehicle the airbag light in the left corner comes on the service airbag is lite where the odometer reading is and stays on unless I switch to reading the odometer..
Ok, have you checked the air bag fuses?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Checked fuse panel in drivers compartment and the one under the hood. There is no fuse marked airbag.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Only found a fuse for the ABS
Is there one labeled SIR in the underhood fuse block?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes

How is that fuse?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Fuse is ok.
OK, WE need to test at the module. It is under the carpet under the drivers seat. DO you have a test light?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I have a test light.
OK, I have always removed the seat to get at the module, but you can try to move the seat forward all the way and see if you can get at the module and connector under the carpet. Let me know if you can. IF so, take the connector off and let me know. I will have instructions at that time.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
should I disconnect the battery first..
No, the system is disabled to begin with.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok going to do that now will get back to you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok harness is off of the module.. I hope I do not have to remove the module I have a power driver seat...

OK, you need your test light and a sewing needle or something small that will not damage the terminals. Using your test light on ground. test for power on terminal 1 with the key on. If there is power, then test from terminal 1 to terminal 32 with the key on. Let me know what you find.

Object Number: 697020  Size: CH

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there is no terminal 32 on the diagram I take it that it would be 10 moves to the right of 22
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
And that test would be on the module or the harness.
Harness.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
getting almost 12 volts terminal 1 to ground with key on Still not sure if you meant terminal 22 or 42 If it was 32 I will count ten across from the left .
Yes, count from the end and go that way. It is terminal 32.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well I got from #1 to ground 11.97 volts and from #1 to terminal 32 -- 11.97 volts
OK, you are using a meter, so from terminal 22 to ground, watch the voltage as you turn the key on.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Terminal 22 to ground fluctuates from 32v to 58v sometimes to 74v
OK, that is good, It seems your module is faulty. That last one you tested is the data line. Basically if it was still then there would be an issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That would be the one under the driver seat?
Yes. What you have done is tested power ground and the data line. They are good so there is no reason there is not air bag light on the dash.
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not see a place to leave you feedback .... But you were awesome to spend time with me alot of time thanks again... One more thing where do I get the module..... Truck is off the road now .. Have to be safe....XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

The module you can get from GM. I would not go to a wrecker for this.

You can leave feedback at the top of the page under the feedback link.