GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

Hi, I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD and am having brake

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD and am having brake problems. The high mount 3rd stop lamp works but the lower ones do not. Park and signal lights work and brake light works at rear factory connectors when connected to my RV. Have checked all fuses and they are okay. Any suggestions?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.

Welcome Brad. There is a VEH stop fuse, A CHMSL fuse, and the left and right trailer fuse. If those are good, the you need to start by checking the junction block at the back of your truck in front of the bumper for a bad connection. I would test the light blue wire for power with the brake pedal pressed. If you have power to the junction block and none out then you need the junction block.

GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
As I mentioned I did check ALL the fuses and light bulbs ... however ... I do not have a test light... just thought it might be a common problem that has a quick fix ... before I dug into things more deeply ... ie wiring / connector issues

Since the 3rd high mount brake light works I ruled out the brake pedal switch ... and I didn't wan't to mess with that as I am quite sure it is tied into the airbag.

Since both the truck box and the rear bumper 7 way connectors work the brake lights / signal lights of my RV ... it seemed I had connector trouble ... not sure if my truck is under warranty as it's a 2006 2500HD Duramax Diesel with 50,000 miles on it ... perhaps you might know.

The connector and junction block is the common issue on these. Your reasoning for the brake light is accurate, the brake switch is working. Just so you know the rear lights have a separate wire from the front of the vehicle than the rv and trailer plugs. The RV lights have nothing to do with the rear junction block. your bumper to bumper warranty is expired. Also, I only mentioned the fuses as confirmation that you found them all.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: FS