Carfix4you
Carfix4you, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  22 yrs ASE ReCertified GM Dealer and Independent Service World Class High Performance Expert
14923590

how do i replace brake pads on a 1993 chevrolet blazer?

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carfix4you replied 5 years ago.
Hello , and welcome to Just Answer. At any time you have any questions about the question you asked, need wiring diagrams, images, or service information, don't hesitate to ask. I'll do my best to help you solve your vehicles problem. Full size Blazer? 4X4? Front or rear?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

its an s10 blazer 4x4

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17

The following procedure requires the use of a C-clamp and channel lock pliers.

1. If the fluid reservoir is full, siphon off about 2/3 of the brake fluid from the master cylinder reservoirs in order to prevent the possibility of spillage when the caliper pistons are bottomed. A common kitchen turkey baster may also be used to remove brake fluid, but make sure the tool is clean before inserting it in the reservoir.
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 4: Caliper/Brake pad mounting - 1992 vehicle shown
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 5: Use a C-clamp to bottom the piston in the caliper bore (this provides clearance for new pad installation)
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 6: Loosen the caliper mounting bolts/pins
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 7: Remove the caliper mounting bolts
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 8: Remove the caliper from the mounting bracket
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 9: Remove the outboard pad from the caliper ears
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 10: Remove the inboard pad from the caliper piston
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 11: While working on the brakes, support the caliper to prevent damage to the brake line
CAUTION
The insertion of thicker replacement pads will push the piston back into its bore and will cause a full master cylinder reservoir to overflow, possibly causing paint damage. In addition to siphoning off fluid, keep the reservoir cover on during pad replacement.
  1. Raise and support the front of the vehicle safely using jackstands.
  2. Remove the front tire and wheel assemblies.

Replacing the pads on just one wheel may cause uneven braking; always replace the pads on both wheels.

1. Install a C-clamp on the caliper so that the solid frame side of the clamp rests against the back of the caliper and the driving screw end rests against the metal part (center backing plate) of the outboard pad.
  2. Tighten the clamp until the caliper moves sufficiently to bottom the piston in its bore, then remove the clamp.
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 12: Exploded view of a common caliper and brake pad assembly
  1. Remove the two Allen head caliper mounting bolts from the back of the caliper.
  2. Remove the caliper from the mounting bracket and support from the vehicle's suspension using a coat hanger or length of wire. DO NOT allow the brake line to support the caliper's weight and be sure the line is not otherwise kinked or damaged.
  3. Remove the inboard and outboard pads from the caliper.
  4. Remove the inboard pad spring clip from the piston or pad. Remove the spring clip carefully as it must be reused upon installation of the new pads.
  5. Remove the bolt ear sleeves and rubber bushings for cleaning, inspection and lubrication.
To install:
  1. Check the inside of the caliper for leakage and the condition of the piston dust boot. If necessary, remove the caliper and overhaul or replace it.
  2. Lubricate the sleeves and bushings using a suitable silicone lubricant, then install them.
  3. Make sure the piston is fully bottomed in the caliper providing clearance for the new brake pads. If the piston is not compressed, install the old inboard pad and use the C-clamp on the pad and back on the caliper to bottom the piston. BE CAREFUL not to pinch and damage the piston boot.
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 13: The spring clip must be properly installed on the inboard pad
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 14: Install the inboard pad to the caliper by carefully inserting the spring clip in the piston
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 15: Position the outboard pad over the caliper ears
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 16: Compress the brake pad ears using a pair of channel lock pliers
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 17: When the caliper is installed, check for proper caliper-to-knuckle bracket clearance
  1. Install the spring clip to the inboard pad, then install the pad to the caliper.

Make sure that the wear sensor is facing in the proper direction. On most vehicles it should face toward the rear of the caliper.

1. Place the outboard pad in the caliper with its top ears over the caliper ears and the bottom tab engaged in the caliper cutout.
  2. Place the caliper over the disc, lining up the hole in the caliper ears with the holes in the mounting bracket. Make sure that the brake hose is not twisted or kinked.
  3. Carefully insert the mounting bolts through the bracket and caliper (bushing and sleeves), then tighten to 10 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
  4. Pump the brake pedal a few times to seat the linings against the rotors.
  5. Use a pair of channel lock pliers to compress the pad ears so no clearance exists between the pad ears and the caliper.
  6. Check the clearance between the caliper and steering knuckle. Clearance at each end of the caliper should be measured individually and the results added together. Clearance should not exceed 0.010-0.024 in. (0.026-0.60mm).
  7. Install the wheels, then remove the jackstands and carefully lower the vehicle.
  8. Check and refill the master cylinder reservoirs.
CAUTION
DO NOT attempt to move the vehicle until a firm brake pedal is obtained.
  1. Pump the brake pedal to make sure that it is firm. If necessary, bleed the brakes.