Billy
Billy, Chevrolet tecnician
Experience:  Over 25 years experience,GM grand master for 8 years,certified smog and government safety inspector
12771247

Have a coolant leak in 1997 Chevy Lumina. Intake manifold gaskets

Have a coolant leak in 1997 Chevy Lumina. Intake manifold gaskets (lower) were fixed & still leaks. 2nd time to shop, they said it was the freeze plug (2 days after manifold gasket repairs). Used epoxy on the plug because of location & labor to replace. Still leaks. It's not the water pump either. After gasket repair was done, car is misfiring.
Hello and welcome to just answer,

Sorry but I'm not sure what it is you are looking for.
Someone at the "shop" will have to inspect and repair the leak. Epoxy, silicon and other magical potions wont work on repairing the vehicle.
If the frost plug is leaking then it must be replaced, if the intake is leaking then it must be resealed properly. It is not very difficult to pressure test a cooling system and locate the source of the leak.
If these guys can't do this for you the you should ask for your money back and go somewhere else and they should change profession because this is obviously not working for for them.
As for the misfire, they probably ruined the spark plug wires, coils or spark plugs.
Some of these items have to be tampered with while replacing the lower intake gasket and if they weren't removed properly (damaged) or reinstalled incorrectly they will cause misfire.
Also they will need to check for vacuum leaks.
It amazes me that reputable shops go out of business while incompetent others have work.

If you feel my answer was helpful, please click the ACCEPT button, otherwise I don't get paid for my time. Feedback & Bonuses are always welcome.
Best regards,
Billy.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Again :) When you say intake needs "resealed" do you mean the gaskets that were replaced need to be re-done? The freeze plug will cost $365.00 they say, because it can't be done by moving the water pump out of the way. About as bad as doing the intake gaskets for labor involved. Is there an easier way??? Also, Is it possible it could be a head gasket? Sorry but I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff :>0

I asked this question of another "justask" expert & got a short answer that did not help. I left him positive feedback & paid but he didn't reply to me after that. You have been MUCH MORE helpful & I appreciate it very much!!!!!!

hello again,

You said "Intake manifold gaskets (lower) were fixed & still leaks." I assumed the gasket still leaks.
Unfortunately the botXXXXX XXXXXne is though, I can't locate the source of the leak for you, someone on your end needs to.
I don't know what are they talking about removing the water pump to get to the frost plug, I don't recall seeing a frost plug behind the pump. Maybe they mean the timing chain cover. Either way if it's leaking epoxy will not fix it, replacement will.
And yes, A head gasket could be leaking but not very common.
If this is a 3.1 or 3.4L engine then the most probable cause for leaks are:
-intake gaskets, water pump, radiator and heater bypass fitting in the intake.
If this is a 3.8 liter engine then:
-intake gasket, water pump and heater hose fitting under the alternator.

Best regards,
Billy.