stin1974
stin1974, Transmission Tech
Experience:  Chevy Transmission Tech
2267585

99 Tahoe: continues to slip badly even though I just added fluid

Customer Question

The transmission on my '99 Tahoe continues to slip badly even though I just added fluid to the system. stin1974 was helping me on this.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  stin1974 replied 5 years ago.
How much fluid did you have to add?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I put 2 quarts in and it seems to be full.
Expert:  stin1974 replied 5 years ago.

Did you check it several times. I know that After adding fluid a lot of times fluid stays in the tube and even after checking 5 or 6 times it will apear to look full on the stick but after checking more the filler tube will clear out and you will get a different reading. Also just to make sure. You are checking the fluid with the vehicle running and in park right?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, running and in park. I'll go take another look at the level. Be right back.
Expert:  stin1974 replied 5 years ago.
ok. also look underneath and see if you see any leaks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, I re-checked it and it shows above the full line.
Expert:  stin1974 replied 5 years ago.
Ok and it is acting the exact same? You say the fluid doesnt smell burnt or discolored? Also did you see any signs of any leaks and who did the fluid change? Just trying to cover everything.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I didn't see any leaks. The old fluid WAS dark brown/black looking but I didn't notice a burnt smell although it might be. Time It Lube did the fluid change.
Expert:  stin1974 replied 5 years ago.
How many miles are on the transmission? And this is the overdrive trans. correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have 84,500 miles on it. No overdrive.
Expert:  stin1974 replied 5 years ago.

So there is no D with a circle around it on the selecter. Are you saying the fluid was black now when you fist checked it and it was low or when you took it for the fluid change. Im assuming you meant before the fluid change.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No D with a circle. Just 1 D and 1, 2, 3, & R. I seem to recall that the fluid was red before I had them change it but I don't remember for certain. I just figured it was about time to have that done as it had about 70,000 miles on it. That was 3 years ago now. Today when I checked it, what fluid was in there was brown/black.
Expert:  stin1974 replied 5 years ago.
Ok this is what it sounds like to me. It sounds like they did not fill the transmission the whole way and by you driving it around like that for 2 weeks it did damage to the transmission. Low fluid will burn up the clutch packs, overheat the transmission and harden the rubber seals inside. By the sounds of it, it is going to have to come out and be gone through. I hate to say that but thats what it sounds like to me. It also sounds like they may be at fault if everything is as sounds.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was afraid of that. How would I go about a recourse on this? Have a qualified tech look at it and go from there? I still have the receipt.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just looked at my receipt from 2 weeks ago. They did not check the trans. fluid.
Expert:  stin1974 replied 5 years ago.
I thought the transmission fluid was just changed 2 weeks ago?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, it was 3 years ago at about 70,000 miles when I had it changed. It now has 84,000 on it. I had the Tahoe in for an oil change 2 weeks ago and I thought, as a routine item, they'd check the trans. fluid but did not. However I didn't specfically ask them to check it unfortunately.
Expert:  stin1974 replied 5 years ago.
Yes well it deffinetly sounds to me like the transmission is going to need rebuilt. By what its doing thats what I would have to say.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That's about what I expected. Any idea of a ball park cost on something like that?
Expert:  stin1974 replied 5 years ago.
Is this a 4x4?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nope.XXXXX
Expert:  stin1974 replied 5 years ago.
Well a rebuild will probably be around 1000.00 - 1300.00. If you fina privately owned shop you may be able to get it done for around 800.00 being that itsXXXXX Also a lot of shops will do what is called a patch job where the go in and just fix whats wrong but you wont get a warranty with that. Usually the warranty is 12 months or 12,000 miles but some places have longer warranty's. You may also be able to find a used one with low miledge for even chraper yet. Its all what you want to spend then ofcourse the warranty thing you will want to take into consideration. I would call around to different shops and get the best price because almost all have the same warranty.
stin1974, Transmission Tech
Experience: Chevy Transmission Tech
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, that's not as bad as I feared. Thanks much for your help!
Expert:  stin1974 replied 5 years ago.
You are very welcome.