Jay
Jay, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  5 yrs experience, GM Trained,
12620940

I have to replace the center support bearing in a 2005 Chevy

I have to replace the center support bearing in a 2005 Chevy Equinox. I am taking out the driveshaft to get it to a shop. I have removed the six 5/16th bolts on the front of the driveshaft and i still cant get this end off to hang. is there more to remove or is it just stuck a bit? Thank You
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer you are going to need the use of a press, if you cannot use a press or have no access to one, perhaps you can take your drive shaft to a shop and they can quickly remove and replace the centre support bearing at minimal cost, but anyhow here is the procedure to do so and please reply if you have any questions:

Center Bearing Removal

Removal Procedure

Tools Required

J 22912-B Split-Plate Bearing Puller
J 45270 Universal Joint Remover/Installer

Object Number: 748220  Size: SH

Notice: Never clamp propeller shaft tubing in a vise. Clamping propeller shaft tubing in a vise could dent or deform the tube, causing an imbalance or unsafe condition. Always clamp on one end of the yokes and support the shaft horizontally.

Important: Prior to disassembly, mark the positions of the driveshaft components relative to the driveshaft tube. All components must be reassembled in the same relationship to maintain proper balance.

1. Remove the snap rings.
    1.1. Pinch the ends of the snap ring together with a pair of pliers.
    1.2. If the snap ring does not readily snap out of the groove in the yoke, tap the end of the bearing cup lightly in order to relieve pressure from ring.

Object Number: 696384  Size: SH

2. Remove the universal joint caps using J 45270 .
  3. Remove the front shaft half.
    Object Number: 748239  Size: SH

4. Remove the lock ring (1) from the groove.
  5. Discard the lock ring.
    Object Number: 748216  Size: SH

6. Place J 22912-B on the splined yoke, as illustrated.
  7. Using a press, remove the yoke.
    Object Number: 748229  Size: SH

8. Place J 22912-B behind the support bearing.
  9. Place the shaft in a press; then, support J 22912-B and press off the support bearing.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I understand I will need to take it to a shop to get it pressed in my question was more on getting the driveshaft out.   I have removed many shafts, however this one doesnt want to come out.....As far as I can see there are 6 bolts on the front end and 4 or 5 on the rear end.......after I remove the 6 in front the driveshaft will not pull off of the transfer case do u think its stuck or held on by somthing else    dont want to force if it is held in by somthing else
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.

Sorry, about that, I believe you just pull it off, you may need the help of a prybar to get it off but here is some information on that, pay particular attention to step 13, but make sure you read it all before doing it:

Propeller Shaft Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 935370  Size: SH

1. Place the transmission in neutral.
  2. Raise and support the vehicle.
  3. Index mark the relationship of the propeller shaft to the rear drive module flange.
  4. Remove the bolts securing the underbody guard loop.
  5. Remove the underbody guard loop.
    Object Number: 928922  Size: SH

6. Place a support under the propeller shaft at the rear drive module.
  7. Remove the bolts securing the propeller shaft yoke flange to the rear drive module flange.
    Object Number: 928930  Size: SH

8. Index mark the relationship of the propeller shaft to the power take-off unit (PTU) flange.
  9. Place a support under the propeller shaft at the PTU.
  10. Remove the bolts securing the propeller shaft to the PTU flange.
    Object Number: 928924  Size: SH

11. Place a support under the propeller shaft at the support bearing.
  12. Remove the bolts securing the propeller shaft support bearing to the vehicle underbody.
  13. While supporting the propeller shaft, move the propeller shaft rearward to disengage the constant velocity joint from the PTU flange.
  14. Remove the propeller shaft from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 928924  Size: SH

1. While supporting the front, center, and rear of the propeller shaft, install the propeller shaft to the vehicle.
  2. Thoroughly clean the center bearing to vehicle mounting bolts and apply thread locker, Saturn P/N 21005994 (Canadian P/N 10953488), to the bolt threads.
  3. Install, but do not tighten, the support bearing mounting bolts.
    Object Number: 928930  Size: SH

4. Pull the forward section of the propeller shaft rearward and install the propeller shaft to the PTU flange.
  5. Align the index marks on the propeller shaft constant velocity joint and the PTU flange.
  6. Thoroughly clean the propeller shaft flange mounting bolts and apply threadlocker, Saturn P/N 21005994 (Canadian P/N 10953488), to the bolt threads.
  7. Install the front propeller shaft mounting bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 25 N·m (19 lb ft).

Object Number: 928922  Size: SH

8. Align the index marks on the propeller shaft yoke flange and the rear drive module flange and install the propeller .
  9. Thoroughly clean the yoke mounting bolts and apply threadlocker, Saturn P/N 21005994 (Canadian P/N 10953488), to the bolt threads.
  10. Install the bolts to the propeller shaft yoke and rear drive module flange.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

11. Tighten the support bearing mounting bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 25 N·m (19 lb ft).

Object Number: 935370  Size: SH

12. Remove the support stands from the propeller shaft.
  13. Install the guard loop to the vehicle underbody.
  14. Install the bolts to the guard loop.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 25 N·m (19 lb ft).

15. Lower the vehicle.
Jay, Chevy Mechanic
Experience: 5 yrs experience, GM Trained,