ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience with Chevrolet. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.

2005 chevy cobalt ss: slave cylinder..bleed..the clutch..brake fluid

Customer Question

i replaced the clutch and slave cylinder on my 2005 chevy cobalt ss on sunday. when i went to bleed the clutch my transmition was leeking brake fluid. i replaced the slave cylinder a second time on monday because thats where the fluid was leeking. i got everything back together, nothing leeking this time. now my car wont start at all. today we took the car apart again checking everything to make sure sensors were connected, wires were connected and everything. we cannot figure out what is keeping my car from starting. this is the 3rd 7hr day ive worked on it. can you please help?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 5 years ago.
When you turn the key does it...
- Click?
- Turn but not crank up and run?
- Do nothing?

Also.....
Is there an anti-theft system light on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

it cranks but wont turn on. and no the anti-theft light is not on

OK..
Will it run on starting fluid?
Do you hear the pump come on when you first turn the key from off to the run position?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i dont know about the starting fluid.. but yes i hear the pump when i turn the key on
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
oh and there is fuel at the fuel rail, i dont have spark
OK..
You actually need a scantool to check for spark on this engine, if you are not going to use a flammable liquid in the engine to see if it runs.

The engine also needs fuel injector pulse. It could be missing one or both of these still. That is why it is absolutely necessary to put the starting fluid in the engine.

Also, whats the 8th VIN digit of your Cobalt? There may need to be a relearn procedure performed, is why I ask.
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience: +15 years experience with Chevrolet. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

8th digit is: P

we used a scantool.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the 8th digit is: P

we used a scan tool

Good deal!

Got injector pulse?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no injector pulse... ok heres the deal. its my bfs car.. hes down at his work and im being the messanger. i have to leave to pick him up in 10 mins.. do you know what it could be before i leave?
Yes, here are the instructions for performing the relearn procedure. Good thing you have a scantool, otherwise you would have to take it to a shop.

1. Install a scan tool.
  2. Monitor the powertrain control module (PCM) for DTCs with a scan tool. If other DTCs are set, except DTC P0315, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle in Vehicle DTC Information for the applicable DTC that set.
  3. Using a scan tool, select the crankshaft position (CKP) variation learn procedure.
  4. The scan tool instructs you to perform the following procedures:
  1. Accelerate to wide open throttle (WOT).
  2. Release the throttle when the fuel cutoff occurs.
  3. Observe the fuel cutoff specifications for the applicable engine.
  4. Engine should not accelerate beyond the calibrated RPM value.
  5. Release the throttle immediately if the value is exceeded.
  6. Block the drive wheels.
  7. Set the parking brake.
  8. DO NOT apply the brake pedal.
  9. Cycle the ignition from OFF to ON.
  10. Apply and hold the brake pedal.
  11. Start and idle the engine.
  12. Turn the A/C OFF.
  13. Vehicle must remain in Park or Neutral.
  14. The scan tool monitors certain component signals to determine if all the conditions are met to continue with the procedure. The scan tool only displays the condition that inhibits the procedure. The scan tool monitors the following components:
    • The CKP sensor activity-If a CKP sensor condition exists, refer to the applicable DTC that set.
    • The camshaft position (CMP) signal activity-If a CMP signal condition exists, refer to the applicable DTC that set.
    • The engine coolant temperature (ECT)-If the engine coolant temperature is not warm enough, idle the engine until the engine coolant temperature reaches the correct temperature.
  1. Using the scan tool, enable the CKP system variation learn procedure. Perform the following procedure:
  2. Release when the fuel cutoff occurs.
  3. Test in progress.

IMPORTANT: While the learn procedure is in progress, release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. The engine control is returned to the operator, and the engine responds to throttle position after the learn procedure is complete.

1. The scan tool displays Learn Status: Learned This Ignition. If the scan tool indicates that DTC P0315 ran and passed, the CKP variation learn procedure is complete. If the scan tool indicates DTC P0315 failed or did not run, refer to DTC P0315. If any other DTCs set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle in Vehicle DTC Information for the applicable DTC that set.
  2. Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the learn procedure is completed successfully.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX to print that and give it to him. i already paid on paypal 9$ and when i hit accept answer its tellin me i have to pay again. whats upwith that? i dont want you to not get paid but it already went thru pay pal and on my credit card

No it's okay. You paid, and I got credit for it.

The site always puts the accept thing up there when we post it as an answer. Many customers pay multiple times on one question..