Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
4976144

1999 Chevy Blazer: changing..actuator..auto climate control

Customer Question

I need the procedure for changing the temperature valve actuator for auto climate control in my 1999 Chevy Blazer. I have the replacement part and have located where it is in the car, but have not been able to get to it yet. It looks like I need to raise up the dash. I have taken all the bolts that appear to be holding the dash in place but can't seem to break it loose.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Here are the directions to replace the actuator and also remove the dash. Let me know if you need more assistance ok.

Instrument Panel Carrier Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. On vehicles equipped with a manual transmission, remove the shift lever.
  2. On vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, perform the following steps:
    2.1. Apply the park brake.
    2.2. Insert the ignition key and turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.
    2.3. Depress the brake pedal and shift the transmission to the 1 position.
    2.4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

Object Number: 392686  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

3. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
  4. Remove the left sound insulator. Refer to Instrument Panel Insulator Panel Replacement - Left Side .
  5. Remove the right instrument panel sound insulator. Refer to Instrument Panel Insulator Panel Replacement - Right Side .
  6. If the vehicle is equipped with a multiple CD changer located in the center console, remove the center console. Refer to Front Floor Console Replacement .
  7. Remove the center sound insulator. Refer to Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement - Center .
  8. Remove the lower left instrument panel mounting bolt.
  9. Remove and retain the instrument panel storage compartment. Refer to Instrument Panel Compartment Door Replacement .
  10. Remove the lower right instrument panel mounting bolt.
    Object Number: 392691  Size: SH
  11. Remove and retain the left and right speakers and the speaker grilles. Refer to Radio Front Speaker Replacement in Entertainment.
  12. Use a flat-bladed tool in order to remove the windshield defroster grille. Retain the grille and the sunload sensor (if equipped) for use on the next IP carrier.
    Object Number: 392690  Size: SH
  13. If the vehicle is equipped with a sunload sensor, twist the sensor ¼ turn counterclockwise in order to disengage the sensor.
  14. Disconnect the brown electrical connection from the body control module (BCM).
  15. Disconnect the purple electrical connection from the body control module (BCM).
  16. Remove the knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement .
  17. Remove and retain the instrument panel cluster. Refer to Instrument Cluster Replacement .
  18. Remove and retain the radio. Refer to Radio Replacement in Entertainment.
  19. Remove and retain the HVAC control assembly. Refer to the appropriate procedure:
    Control Assembly Replacement in Heating and Ventilation (Non-A/C)
    Control Assembly Replacement in HVAC Systems with A/C - Manual

Caution: This vehicle is equipped with a Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) System. Failure to follow the correct procedure could cause the following conditions:

Air bag deployment
    Personal injury
    Unnecessary SIR system repairs
    In order to avoid the above conditions, observe the following guidelines:
    Refer to SIR Component Views in order to determine if you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring.
    If you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System.

20. Disable the passenger side SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in SIR.
    Object Number: 392681  Size: SH
  21. Remove the left and right instrument panel driver knee bolster brackets.
  22. Lower the steering column for clearance. Refer to the appropriate procedure:
    Steering Column Replacement in Steering Wheel and Column - Standard
    Steering Column Replacement in Steering Wheel and Column - Tilt

Object Number: 303370  Size: SH

Important: Label all of the connections in order to avoid improper installation.

23. Remove the top instrument panel screws.
  24. Roll the instrument panel down.
  25. Disconnect the electrical connections, as needed.
  26. Remove the fastener that retains the radio antenna cable to the instrument panel.
  27. Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle.
  28. If replacing the instrument panel carrier, retain parts for assembly of the new instrument panel carrier.

Installation Procedure

1. Install retained parts from the original instrument panel.
    Object Number: 303370  Size: SH
  2. Install the instrument panel to the vehicle.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Install the fastener that retains the radio antenna cable to the instrument panel.

Tighten
    Tighten the fastener to 1.9 N·m (17 lb in).

4. Connect the electrical connectors, as needed.
  5. Roll the instrument panel up.
  6. Install the top instrument panel screws.

Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 1.9 N·m (17 lb in).

Object Number: 392681  Size: SH
  7. Raise the steering column into position. Refer to the appropriate procedure:
  8. Install the left and right instrument panel driver knee bolster brackets.

Tighten
    Tighten the screws/bolts to 6.3 N·m (56 lb in).

Object Number: 392690  Size: SH
  9. Enable the passenger side SIR system. Refer to Enabling the SIR System in SIR.
  10. Install the HVAC control assembly to the instrument panel. Refer to the appropriate procedure:
  11. Install the radio. Refer to Radio Replacement in Entertainment.
  12. Install the instrument cluster. Refer to Instrument Cluster Replacement .
  13. Install the knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement .
  14. Connect the purple electrical connection to the body control module (BCM).
  15. Connect the brown electrical connection to the body control module (BCM).
  16. If the vehicle is equipped with a sunload sensor, install the sensor to the defroster grille by twisting the sensor ¼ turn clockwise.
    Object Number: 392691  Size: SH
  17. Install the windshield defroster grille by carefully pressing the grille into place.
  18. Install the left and right speakers and the speaker grilles. Refer to Radio Front Speaker Replacement in Entertainment.
    Object Number: 392686  Size: SH
  19. Install the lower right instrument panel mounting bolt.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolt to 11.5 N·m (102 lb in).

20. Install the instrument panel storage compartment. Refer to Instrument Panel Compartment Door Replacement .
  21. Install the lower left instrument panel bolt.

Tighten

22. Install the center sound insulator. Refer to Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement - Center .
  23. Install the right sound insulator. Refer to Instrument Panel Insulator Panel Replacement - Right Side .
  24. Install the center console to the vehicle, if removed. Refer to Front Floor Console Replacement .
  25. Install the left sound insulator. Refer to Instrument Panel Insulator Panel Replacement - Left Side .
  26. Connect the battery negative cable.
  27. On vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, perform the following steps:
    26.1. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.
    26.2. Depress the brake pedal and shift the transmission to the PARK position.
    26.3. Release the park brake.
  28. On vehicles equipped with a manual transmission, install the shift lever.

Temperature Actuator Replacement

Removal Procedure

The electric actuator (temperature) is located on the top right hand side of the heater/vent module.

1. Remove the instrument panel carrier. Refer to Instrument Panel Carrier Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges, and Console.
    Object Number: 424782  Size: SH
  2. Disconnect the electrical connector.
    Object Number: 404930  Size: SH
  3. Remove the electric actuator retaining screws.
  4. Remove the electric actuator from the heater/vent module.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 404930  Size: SH
  1. Install the electric actuator to the heater/vent module. Ensure that the actuator is seated on the locating tab.

2. Install the electric actuator retaining screws.

Tighten
    Tighten to 1.9 N·m (17 lb ft).

Object Number: 424782  Size: SH
  3. Connect the electrical connector.
  4. Install the instrument panel carrier. Refer to Instrument Panel Carrier Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges, and Console.
  5. Perform the following procedure in order to Initialize the electric actuator on vehicles equipped with automatic climate control (C68).
    5.1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
    5.2. Remove the RDO BATT fuse for 10 seconds.
    5.3. Reinstall the RDO BATT fuse.
    5.4. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
    5.5. Ensure that the electric actuator cycles through the hot and cold range.
  6. Perform a heater output temperature check. Refer to Heater Output Temperature Check .
Dan, Auto Technician
Experience: GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm thinking that I just need to raise the dash enough to get get to the actuator. Is that correct. Also, I can't see the proceedure for dissabling the air bags or do I not need to do that.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
You only need to disable the airbags. Yes, you should be able to get it if just raising the dash enough but even then it's kind of tough with very little room. Then it turns into a two or three person job, LoL.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, what is the procedure for dissabling the airbags and then to enable them again?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I need the procedure for dissabling the air bags

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Disabling the SIR System
  1. Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle's wheels are pointing straight ahead.
  2. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position.
  3. Remove the key from the ignition switch.

Important: With the SIR Fuse removed and the ignition switch in the ON position, The AIR BAG warning lamp illuminates. This is normal operation, and does not indicate an SIR system malfunction.

4. Remove the SIR Fuse from the IP fuse block.
  5. Remove the left sound insulator, if equipped. Refer to Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement - Center in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
  6. Remove the knee bolster. Refer to Driver Knee Bolster Panel Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
    Object Number: 9042  Size: SH
  7. Disconnect the driver yellow 2-way connector located at the base of the steering column.
  8. Open the IP compartment door, lift stop and allow door to fully open.
    Object Number: 208427  Size: SH
  9. Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) from the passenger yellow 2-way connector located behind the glove box.
  10. Disconnect the passenger yellow 2-way connector located behind the glove box.