Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering
2947720

STOCK CD PLAYER WILL NOT EJECT CD - JUST CLICKS

Customer Question

2004 CHEVY 2500 HD -STOCK CD PLAYER WILL NOT EJECT CD - JUST CLICKS
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

There has been a service bulletin for that type of concern. It will involve a reprogramming of the radio/CD player.

Here is what it states.

Bulletin No.: 04-08-44-020C

Date: November 09, 2005

TECHNICAL

Subject:
CD Player Long Load-to-Play Time, Error Message, CD Does Not Return to Previous Track, CD Does Not Play, CD Does Not Eject, CD Stuck in Player, Radio Will Not Accept CD (Reprogram Radio)

Models:
2004-2005 Buick Rainier
2004-2005 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2004-2005 Chevrolet Avalanche, Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT
2004-2005 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL, Envoy XUV, Savana, Sierra, Sierra Denali, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon XL Denali
2004-2005 HUMMER H2

with CD Player Radio (RPOs UB0 or UB1)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add 2004 model year. Also, additional conditions and correction information have been provided. Please discard Advance SI Resolution Bulletin Number 04-08-44-020B (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

Condition

Some customers may comment on one of the following conditions:

^ Long CD load-to-play time
^ CD ejects with an error message of "CHECK CD"
^ CD does not return to previous track after an ignition cycle
^ Clock resets to 12:00
^ CD does not play
^ CD does not eject
^ CD stuck in CD player
^ Radio will not accept CD

Cause

A software anomaly within the radio has been found.

Correction

If the customer comments that the CD does not eject or the CD is stuck in the CD player, or the radio will not accept the CD, prior to programming the radio, perform the following steps.

1. Turn off the ignition.
2. Remove the radio fuse for a minimum of 30 seconds.
3. Reinstall the fuse, turn on the ignition and the radio.
4. Attempt to remove the CD by using the eject button or attempt to insert the CD.
5. If the CD was successfully removed or the radio accepted the CD, then proceed with reprogramming.
6. If the CD was not successfully removed or the radio did not accept the CD, then the radio must be removed for repair at an authorized Electronic Service Center.

Reprogram the radio with an updated software calibration. This new service calibration was released with TIS satellite data update version 10.0 available October 3, 2005. As always, make sure your Tech 2(R) is updated with the latest software version. Prior to entering TIS2000, enter the VIN into GMVIS to obtain the RPO codes of the radio and speaker configuration for the vehicle. This will allow for the correct calibration selection. Selecting the incorrect calibration for the vehicle configuration can damage the radio and lead to unnecessary delays in repair time. Once programming is completed, wait at least one minute after key-off to allow the radio to accept the new calibration.

Important: TIS programming supports two calibrations for radios with the UQA amplifier on the S/T models. Prior to selecting the calibration, determine if the amplifier is class 2 or non-class 2. Use the Tech 2(R) and the following path.
1. Connect the Tech 2(R) to the vehicle and power on.
2. Select "Diagnostics" from the menu.
3. Build the vehicle from the menu options.
4. Select "Diagnostic Circuit Check" from the menu.
5. Select "Class 2 Message Monitor" from the menu.

If the amplifier appears on the class 2 message monitor screen, then the calibration for a class 2 amplifier needs to be selected. If the amplifier does not appear on the screen, then the calibration for a non-class 2 amplifier needs to be selected. Selecting the wrong calibration will result in reduced or no radio volume.

Also, please advise the customer that home-burned CDs must be burned with a "closed session" or the formatting will be incomplete and the player will not read the CD. CDs should NOT have adhesive paper labels affixed to them as the labels may lift off in the player.

graphic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience: 29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so what exactley do i do, go to GM for a update - what would that cost?
Yes. GM dealer would be about the only place that will have the updates, (I hate to say)
But the labor should be less than half an hour. So it depends on their labor rate, (in which the national average is about $75 per flat rate hour)