Travis, Chevy Technician
Experience:  7+ years of GM dealership experience, GM ASEP trained, Assoc. Degree in Auto. Tech.

How do you change a multifunction switch for 2001 Astro Van

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Travis replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

**Remove the AIR BAG Fuse from the IP fuse block.

Remove the steering column trim cover.

Disconnect the steering column electrical connectors.

Disconnect the multifunction switch connectors (2) from the steering column electrical connector (1).

Remove the steering column wiring harness from the wiring harness strap.

• Remove the wire harness straps from the steering column wire harness.
  • Remove the multifunction switch mounting screws.
  • Remove the multifunction switch.

Important: The multifunction switch electrical contact must rest on the cancelling cam assembly.

1. Install the multifunction switch as follows:

Use a small blade screwdriver in order to compress the electrical contact.

Move the multifunction switch into position.

There is a metal tab on the front of the switch that MUST be depressed while putting the new switch on. The tab will need to slide down onto the brass contact plate in front of the switch.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
    Sorry this isnt what I was looking for , I have the whole dash apart and the only thing I cant do is get the plugs out,I have the wiring harness with it, there is two of them that go in a connection, and there is 2 smaller ones, 1 goes on the top the steering column and I am not sure how to get it out either.
    Expert:  Travis replied 7 years ago.

The procedure listed is from GM on how to replaced the switch.

The 2 bigger plugs come loose from the main plug at the base of the column. One of the smaller ones goes up the column to the BTSI solenoid, you will have to hunt for it with a flash light, it can be hard to find. The other plug, which should be green will not be used for anything on your van if I remeber correctly.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
    Still cant get plugs out, I got so upset, I decided to take to dealer, then my van wouldnt start, they told me that I must of set some security feature off, Thanks anyways, you will understand if I dont pay this since it did not help.