Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

I lost my keys to my 2000 chevy venture. I had a new key made

Customer Question

I lost my keys to my 2000 chevy venture. I had a new key made but no automatic door opener thing. My alarm is going off and I can't start it. H
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Joe replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer Did you have the door key? If so use it in either front door and turn the key to the unlock position, this should disarm the alarm. If it does not let me know and we will try something else.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I already did that and it still won't start.

Expert:  Joe replied 5 years ago.
OK, thry this- Disconnect one of the battery cables, then turn the ignition key to the run position (not start position) and reconnect the battery. This sometimes will put the alarm in valet mode. Please let me know if this works.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I lost the keys. The next day My daughter crawled in the back of the van, (the latch is broken and never affects the alarm). Instead of unlocking the doors, she just opend the sliding side door. I did not realize at the time, but it set my alam off, (Can't hear it) My van sucks! Today I went to chevy and had the new key made. When I tried to start it is when I realized the alarm was going off and thought it had run my battery down. While I was trying to jump it, I remembered that the alarm cuts the fuel off. I locked the van with the key and unlocked it, did not work, we pulled fuses did not work. We are thinking about pulling the battery but I can't get to it and I don't think that will work really.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok, I will go try it. IT is HARD and dark so will take a few mins.

brb

Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.

This vehicle uses a PK3 key that needs to be programmed if it gas not. Here is hwo this is done.

1. With a master key , turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Observe the Security telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn off.
  3. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.

Important: You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

5. With a master passkey III key, start the vehicle. The vehicle has now learned the key transponder information.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do i get a master passkey III?
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
Does the side of your key have the letters PK3? If so, this is a master key. If not, I would recommend having your local gm delaer make you one. See this vehicle uses a transponder that must be inside of the key to do the relearn.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok, I have the pk3. I will try it today and get back to you.

Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.

The if the relearn has not been done yet, It will need to be done to allow for the theft detterent system to allow for a start.

Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience: ASE CERTIFICATION