ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience with Chevrolet. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.
907259

Where is the fuel filter located on a 2005 Chevy Tahoe?

Category: Chevy
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for choosingJustr Answer!

The fuel filter is contained in the fuel sender assembly inside the fuel tank. the paper filter element of the fuel filter traps particles in the fuel that may damage the fuel injection system. The fuel filter housing is made to withstand maximum fuel system pressure, exposure to fuel additives, and changes in temperature. There is no service interval for fuel filter replacement.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So the fuel filter is in the rear of the Tahoe rather than in the engine compartment?
Hi!

I made a mistake. I had my database set to the 4.8 engine (was the last one I had in .. for a fuel pump), but you probably have the 5.3.. My mistake. I should have asked the engine size. Here is how to change it on the 5.3L engine fuel system. You will need a quick connect fuel line tool.

On the 4.8 it is in the fuel tank (part of the fuel pump).
Sorry for any confusion.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, it is a 5.3L engine. Based upon you answer, I assume that the fuel filter is in the fuel tank, which is in the rear of the vehicle as opposed to the front enginge compartment. Is that correct?

Starting in 2004 They started putting the filters in the tank as part of the fuel pump.

There was an exception to this, if the 8TH VIN digit is a Z, then it may apply. The exception is where the filter is bolted to the frame rail, under the truck just at the rear of the cab, under a big bracket. I wouldn't look very hard for it though... because its most ikely not there.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your response. What I really need to know is if the fuel filter is in the engine compartment or in the rear of the vehicle.
Yes, you could consider it in the rear of the vehicle, because it is definately not in the engine compartment.
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience: +15 years experience with Chevrolet. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.