GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

GMC Yukon: steering column..loud rubbing noise..steering wheel

My GMC Yukon 2008 model has just started making noise in the steering column. It sounds like a loud rubbing noise close to the steering wheel. What causes this?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 7 years ago.

WelcomeCustomer Does the noise sound like plastic on plastic or metal? Does it do it both ways? Does it make the noise the whole way around?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I would say it sounds like plastic on does do it both ways and it can be loud at times. And it does make the noise the whole way around. It is still under warranty, I just wanted to get an idea of what it could be. 15,000 miles and its seems a little quick for something to be going wrong.
My thought is the clock spring. This device is a coil of wires that rotates around with the wheel to make sure there is a solid wire connection for the air bag. I have replaced one for this type of noise, but given you are under warranty, I would let them make the final call. Please let me know what the verdict is when all is said and done.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your opinion....I will let you know! It seems to do it more in cold weather, and also makes the steering tougher. Could that still be the clock spring?
I would not expect the clock spring to interfere with the steering unless it is very bad. Either way, it is warranty, and that is the whole point of a warranty.