Jay
Jay, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  Several yrs experience, GM Trained,
12620940

2002 chevy venture: need to change ac/heater switch

2002 chevy venture and need to change ac/heater switch. Need to know how to do it and what are stigmatics?

HelloCustomer here is the instructions you need please reply if you need more information, thanks.

HVAC Control Module Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the IP accessory trim plate.
  1. Open the ashtray or the cupholder.
    Object Number: 318192  Size: SH

2. Remove the following sets of screws:
    Two screws from the front of the trim panel. For access to the front screws, remove the ashtray or the cupholder.
    Two screws from the bottom of the trim panel. For access to the bottom screws, remove the console storage box.
  3. Use a small, flat-bladed tool in order to remove the upper tabs on the IP accessory trim plate from the instrument panel.
  4. Disconnect the electrical connectors, if equipped.
  5. Remove the IP accessory trim plate from the instrument panel.

Object Number: 787393  Size: SH

1. Remove the HVAC control module retaining screws.
  2. Pull the HVAC control module straight out from the instrument panel.
  3. Disconnect the HVAC control module electrical connectors.
  4. Remove the HVAC control module.

Installation Procedure

1. Connect the HVAC control module electrical connectors.
  2. Install the HVAC control module into instrument panel opening.
    Object Number: 787393  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Install the HVAC control module retaining screws.

4. Install the IP accessory trim plate.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

can this be done by myself or do I need to take in to shop and have done? What is time on this type of job?

HelloCustomer if you take it to a shop they shouldn't charge you more than an hour but yes it is easy and I think you should probably find in not difficult to do yourself. Please reply if you have any more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am a female and I am not sure about wires.

I don't think I can fix that for you, but the wires are connected to connectors so it is just a procedure of disconnecting the connectors and plugging them back in . If you don't feel comfortable you could ask a male friend to take a look or take it to a shop if your willing to pay the hour labour.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I hear that this is a dealer item and I have to order the complete piece not just switch. Why is that?
Hi, yeah you are right about that, but now I'm wondering do you just mean the knob that you turn in a circular motion?