John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician

I have a 2004 chevy aveo, the drl would not go off when the

I have a 2004 chevy aveo, the drl would not go off when the car is shut off. After looking online I found that they can be disconnected by unhooking a black relay mod. under the dash with a white lable that says Hamsar. I did the disconnect, and when I went to charge the battery again to my surprise as soon as I turned the charger on the lights lite up! What relay or mod do I need to change to correct this problem???????
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

The daytime running lamps (DRL) will come ON when:

The ignition is ON.
The light is OFF.
The parking brake is released.

When the exterior lights are ON, the DRL will turn OFF. To turn the DRL OFF when idling, apply the parking brake.

With everything plugged in ,apply the brake with the key on/engine off.The brake light in the dash should light & the headlamps should turn off.If not replace the DRL module.

• Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  • Remove the instrument panel lower cover.
  • Reach underneath the instrument panel and remove the bolts and the daytime running lamp module.
  • Disconnect the electrical connector.