John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician
6408229

2000 chevy: the pin that engages the four wheel drive..diagram

Customer Question

my four wheel drive is not working on my 2000 chevy silverado, it is the push button type to put it into four wheel drive. i have taken it to a shop and he said it is probably the pin that engages the four wheel drive. can you send me a diagram or a "how to" so i can fix it myself, times are tough and im strapped for cash, thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Did you shop check your vehicle for failure codes in TCM.Your transfer case is computer controlled & will leave an error message when an input is selected & not carried out.This is where the diagnosis should begin.Are you referring to the pin /shaft on the transfer case or the front axle assembly?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i am refering to the pin in the front axle assembly, the mechanic i talked to told me there was nothing wrong with the transfer case that the problem stemed from the electric motor and pin that engages the four wheel drive but the electric motor seemed to be working fine
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Ok,you do realize you must take apert the front axle assembly.Good luck

Front Drive Axle Inner Shaft and Inner Shaft Housing Replacement

Object Number: 834234  Size: SH

1. Raise the vehicle.
  2. Drain the differential carrier assembly.
  3. Disconnect the electrical connector from the electric motor actuator.
    Object Number: 834265  Size: SH

4. Disconnect the wire harness from the inner axle shaft housing.
  5. Remove the stabilizer shaft link assembly.
    Object Number: 763646  Size: SH

6. Remove the wheel drive shaft inboard flange bolts from the inner axle shaft.

Disconnect the wheel drive shaft from the inner axle shaft.

Object Number: 834241  Size: SH

7. Remove the inner axle shaft housing nuts from the bracket.
    Object Number: 834261  Size: SH

8. Remove the inner axle shaft housing bolts from the differential carrier case.
    Object Number: 615922  Size: SH

Important: Keep the open end of the inner axle shaft housing up.

9. Carefully remove the inner axle shaft housing from the differential carrier assembly.
    Object Number: 695177  Size: SH

10. For the 8.25 inch axle, remove the following components from the inner axle shaft housing:
    10.1. The clutch fork inner spring (10)
    10.2. The clutch fork shaft assembly components (14, 13, 12, 11)
    10.3. The clutch shaft shim (9)
    10.4. Remove the clutch sleeve (8)
    10.5. Remove the clutch gear 6) by doing the following:
    10.5.1. Clamp the inner axle shaft housing (4) in a vise.

Clamp only on the mounting flange.

10.5.2. Strike the inside surface of the shaft (1) flange with a hammer and a brass drift in order to dislodge the front drive axle clutch gear 6) from the inner axle shaft (1).
    10.6. Remove the thrust washer 5).

Object Number: 695181  Size: SH

11. For the 9.25 inch axle, remove the following components from the inner axle shaft housing:
    11.1. The clutch fork inner spring (10)
    11.2. The clutch fork assembly components (14, 13, 12, 11)
    11.3. The clutch shaft shim (9)
    11.4. The clutch sleeve (8)
    11.5. The retainer ring (7)
    11.6. The thrust washers (5, 6)

Object Number: 615683  Size: SH

12. Remove the inner axle shaft (2). Tap out the inner axle shaft with a soft-faced mallet.
  13. Remove the inner axle seal and the bearing from the axle housing.
  14. Install the new inner axle shaft bearing and the seal to the axle housing. Refer to
    Object Number: 615683  Size: SH

15. Install the inner axle shaft (2) into the inner axle shaft housing (1).

Carefully tap the inner axle shaft into place with a soft-faced mallet.

Object Number: 695177  Size: SH

16. For the 8.25 inch axle, install the following components into the inner axle shaft housing:
    3.1. The thrust washer (5). Use chassis grease in order to hold the thrust washer in place.

Ensure the tabs on the thrust washer (5) align with the slot in the inner axle shaft housing (4).

3.2. The retainer ring (7) into the clutch gear (6).
    3.3. The clutch gear (6) onto the inner axle shaft (1).

Drive the clutch gear into place with a plastic hammer.

3.4. Determine the clutch gear shim thickness.
    3.5. The clutch gear shim (9)
    3.6. The clutch sleeve (8)
    3.7. The clutch fork assembly (14, 13, 12, 11)
    3.8. The clutch fork inner spring (10) into the differential carrier case.

Object Number: 695181  Size: SH

17. For the 9.25 inch axle, install the following components into the inner axle shaft housing:
    4.1. The thrust washer (5). Use chassis grease in order to hold the thrust washer in place.

4.2. The second thrust washer (6)
    4.3. The retainer ring (7) onto the inner axle shaft (1)
    4.4. Determine the clutch gear shim thickness.
    4.5. The clutch gear shim (9)
    4.6. The clutch sleeve (8)
    4.7. The clutch fork assembly (14, 13, 12, 11)
    4.8. The clutch fork inner spring (10) into the differential carrier case.
  18. Apply sealant (GM P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNNor equivalent) to the inner axle housing to differential carrier sealing surface.
    Object Number: 615922  Size: SH

19. Install the inner axle shaft housing to the differential carrier assembly.

Object Number: 834261  Size: SH

20. Install the inner axle shaft housing bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the inner axle shaft housing bolts to 40 N·m (30 lb ft).

Object Number: 834241  Size: SH

21. Install the inner axle shaft housing washers and nuts to the bracket.

Tighten
    Tighten the inner axle shaft housing nuts to 100 N·m (75 lb ft).

22. Connect the wheel drive shaft inboard flange to the inner axle shaft.
    Object Number: 763646  Size: SH

23. Install the wheel drive shaft inboard flange to the inner axle shaft bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the wheel drive shaft inboard flange to inner axle shaft bolts to 79 N·m (58 lb ft).

24. Install the stabilizer shaft link assembly.
    Object Number: 834265  Size: SH

25. Connect the wire harness to the inner axle shaft housing.
    Object Number: 834234  Size: SH

26. Check all repairs & test drive.