Travis, Chevy Technician
Experience:  7+ years of GM dealership experience, GM ASEP trained, Assoc. Degree in Auto. Tech.

Blazer: My 03..replaced both the cam & crank sensors...drove

Customer Question

My 03 Blazer has a p0016 code. I have replaced both the cam & crank sensors. I reset the code and drove 2 hours without a problem. Shut off check engine light returned with same code. Reset with same result plus a p0300 code. Was advised to change distributor as the gear is worn. I have never heard if gear wear being a problem. Any thoughts?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Travis replied 7 years ago.

The powertrain control module (PCM) supplies a 12-volt reference circuit and a low reference circuit to both the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor and the camshaft position (CMP) sensor. The CKP sensor sends a signal to the PCM with each revolution of the crankshaft. The CMP sensor sends a signal to the PCM with each revolution of the camshaft. This diagnostic trouble code (DTC) monitors the CKP signal and the CMP signal to determine if they are synchronized. If both signals are not observed by the PCM within a narrow period of time, the PCM will determine that an error has occurred and DTC P0016 will set.

It is possible that the distributor is worn.

Check for the following items:

A loose or missing distributor hold down bolt
A loose CMP sensor causing a variance in the sensor signal
An incorrectly installed distributor - 1 tooth off in either advance or retard positions
A loose distributor rotor on the distributor shaft
Excessive free play in the timing chain and gear assembly