Travis
Travis, Chevy Technician
Experience:  7+ years of GM dealership experience, GM ASEP trained, Assoc. Degree in Auto. Tech.
14792462

I have a 2006 Silverado, the right brake light does not work.

I have a 2006 Silverado, the right brake light does not work. I've changed the light bulb(second one from the top) and have checked the fuse, the one marked RT TRLR ST/TRN, as marked on the fuse block information label.   Any ideas?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Travis replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

First, disconnect the taillamp and connect a test lamp to the light blue wire. Have someone hit the brakes. The lamp should come on.

If not, look under the bed of the truck, near the rear bumper. There should be a junction block there with a few connectors going into. Unplug the connectors and check for signs of melting or corrosion. Test the light blue wire there too for power to the brake lamps when the brakes are pressed. If the left side stop lamp is working, then there is either an open in the brake lamp feed wire or the junction block has an open circuit in it since the brake lamp feed wire splits inside the junction block to go out to each lamp.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Travis,

I checked the blue wire while the brakes were applied, Nothing. I even checked the left side just to be sure my test light was working. Also I checked the connectors at the junction blocks under the truck like you suggested, but they were OK, not even dirty. I guess I'll be taking the truck to the local dealership to get it fixed. Thanks anyway.

Jim

Expert:  Travis replied 7 years ago.
So the left side lamp works fine right?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes the left side works fine.
Expert:  Travis replied 7 years ago.

Ok, the wire splits and goes to each lamp INSIDE the junction block. If you have power to one lamp and not the other, then the issues will be inside that junction block.

I have included a picture to help you see what I am talking about.

So replacing the junction block should take care of it. This is a repair that you can do yourself.

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Travis,

Thanks for the wiring diagram. I will replace the junction block.

Thank you for the help.

Jim

Expert:  Travis replied 7 years ago.

Thanks Jim,

Let me know if I can help further.

Travis