stin1974
stin1974, Transmission Tech
Experience:  Chevy Transmission Tech
2267585

2001 Chevy S10: it cost to replace the oil pan gasket..pickup

How much should it cost to replace the oil pan gasket on a 2001 Chevy S10 pickup.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  stin1974 replied 5 years ago.
The gasket is listed at $15.97. The labor time is 5.9 hours and add 0.4 with Air conditioning. So whatever the garage you use charges per hour.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Having replaced gaskets on an oil pan on a couple older vehicles 10 years ago.Why would it take 5.9 hours to undo 6 bolts or so, pull a pan and scrape the old gaget off and the sealent and pace the new gaket on and put the pan back on and add oil on this model. Could you provide me with a few more details so that I can understand why it would take that long?
Expert:  stin1974 replied 5 years ago.
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the oil level indicator.
  3. Remove the front differential assembly.
  4. Remove the starter.
  5. Remove the transmission cover.
  6. Remove the oil pan drain plug and drain the engine oil into a suitable container.
  7. Remove the remote oil filter pipe adapter.
  8. Remove the bolt holding the remote oil filter inlet and outlet hose clip to the oil pan.
  9. Remove the stud holding the bracket for the starter wire harness and if equipped, the transmission oil cooler pipes.
  10. Remove the access plugs for the oil pan rear nuts.
  11. Remove the transmission to oil pan bolts
  12. Important: The low oil level sensor is not reusable. Use a NEW low oil sensor.

1. Remove and discard the engine oil level sensor (if applicable).
    2. Remove the oil pan bolts and nuts
    3. Remove the oil pan
      1. Remove the oil pan gasket.
      2. Discard the oil pan gasket.
      3. Clean all sealing surfaces on the engine and the oil pan.

Installation Procedure

Notice: Any time the transmission and the engine oil pan are off of the engine at the same time, install the transmission before the oil pan. This is to allow for the proper oil pan alignment. Failure to achieve the correct oil pan alignment can result in transmission failure.

4. graphic

5. Apply a 5 mm (0.197 inch) wide and 25 mm (1.0 inch) long bead of adhesive GM P/N 12346141 or equivalent to both the right and left sides of the engine front cover to engine block junction at the oil pan sealing surfaces.

6. Apply a 5 mm (0.197 inch) wide and 25 mm (1.0 inch) long bead of adhesive GM P/N 12346141 or equivalent to both the right and left sides of the crankshaft rear oil seal housing to engine block junction at the oil pan sealing surfaces.
    7. Important: Always install a NEW oil pan gasket
    8. . The oil pan gasket and oil pan must be installed and the fasteners tightened while the adhesive is still wet to the touch.

1. Install the NEW oil pan gasket into the groove in the oil pan.
      2. Important: The oil pan alignment must always be flush or forward no more than 0.3 mm (0.011 inch) from the rear face of the engine block.

1. Install the oil pan onto the engine block. Press the oil pan gasket into the grooves of the engine front cover and crankshaft rear oil seal housing.
        2. Slide the oil pan back against a suitable straight edge.
        3. Install the oil pan bolts and nuts, but do not tighten.
        4. Measure the pan-to-transmission housing clearance using a feeler gauge and a straight edge. Use a feeler gauge to check the clearance between the oil pan-to-transmission housing measurement points. If the clearance exceeds 0.3 mm (0.011 inch) at any of the 3 oil pan-to-transmission housing measurement points (1), then repeat the step until the oil pan-to-transmission housing clearance is within the specification. The oil pan must always be forward of the rear face of the engine block.
        5. graphic

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Tighten the oil pan bolts and nuts in sequence.
    • Tighten the oil pan bolts to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Measure the clearance between the 3 oil pan-to-transmission housing measurement points in order to ensure proper alignment.
stin1974, Transmission Tech
Experience: Chevy Transmission Tech