Carfix4you
Carfix4you, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  22 yrs ASE ReCertified GM Dealer and Independent Service World Class High Performance Expert
14923590

gm: 1998 chev 454...lifter noise since new.

Customer Question

I have a 1998 chev 454. I had a lifter noise since new. gm dealer said it was normal. then the top of 7 lifters rolled over in the lifter loosing oil pressure. Mechanic rebuilt engine. Engine runs grat but have that lifter noise again. mechanic changed federal mogul lifters & cam for gm lifters & cam and engine still has same noise. Oil pressure is 60-70 freeway / 45 at idel. Plenty of oil flowing from rockers. Being non adjustable rockers the mechanic says he checked the travel in lifter & is good and lifters seem to be pumped up.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carfix4you replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer and welcome to Just Answer. At any time you have any questions about the question you asked, need wiring diagrams, images, or service information, don't hesitate to ask. I'll do my best to help you solve your vehicles problem. My fist question before I can help you solve this is why did you replace all thise parts? The dealer gave you the correct information. There is a service bulletin concerning this repair.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can i get a copy of the bulletin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the lifters colapsing caused loss of oil & a rod went out - mechanic rebuilt engine but then changed cam & lifters thinking gm was the fix to the noise. and was worried then and now that the lifters could come apart again

The GM bulletin states that should not happen, yet they said there are no available repairs for this issue. HERE I believe that the rocker attaching blost are machined wrong, and no manufacturer has reproduced them in proper specs. There is a way around it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you

What is the way aroud it?

graphicHardened steel shims between the retaining bolt and the ball washer. Here is an image of where to put them. I would start with a 010. steel washer on one rocker. If the noise goes away, then put that washer on the rest of them. If the noise is still there, install an .020, and so on.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The mechanic says that before he put the gm cam & lifters in he tried the washers with no results. They have triied additives and different weight oils with no effect. His thoughts now are to put a high oil pump in.

I would feel lots better if i can resolve this. the noise is worse now than before the lifters came apart the first time.

Thank you for the bullitin but i don't see how there can not be a cause to the problem & after 10 year with only 42k on the truck the lifters failed. I religsly change oil (5/30) and the truck never burned or lost any oil between changes. Oil pressure has always been very good. When the lifters failed I heard clattering, ran rough and the oil pressure droped to 15. I was on a bridge and drove it to thend about 4 miles. The #1 rod bearing was worn. the crank could have been polished but the mechanic said to grind it & replace bearings (part of a complete engine overhaul). He atributed the loss of oil pressure to the top of the 7 lifters being wide open.

All I can suggest is to try it. I have had sucess with it. If you would like, I will put this question back up to see if another expert can look at it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes please put the question back up

thanks so much for your help. have tryed other site & get smart anwers like buy a ford