Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Overheating..water pump and temp sensor and still overheats

Customer Question

2004 shevy overheating. Changed thermostat, fan clutch, water pump and temp sensor and still overheats.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Chevy?
-What model is your Chevy?
-How many miles are on your Chevy?
-What type of engine is in your Chevy?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its a 2004 chevy silverado it has a 5.3 engine and 100,00 miles on it
Thank you. Can you tell me under what conditions does it overheat? Idling or driving? Are there any modifications to your truck?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I first notice my heater was taking long to get warm. And a couple days later I noticed my temp gauge was going up and then I got a mssg telling me my engine coolant was getting hot. I fugured it was my thermostat so I changed it along with the temp sensor but that did not resolve the problem so then i bought fan clutch and put it on but still no luck so then I replace the water pump and nothing engine is still getting hot

Is there still little heat in the cab? Does it push the coolant out the surge tank? how long does to overheat?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

After installing the water pump I ran it on idle for about 10 minutes with the heater on but got no hot air out of it.. Cold air was blowing out of my vents. I decided to go for a spend and accelerated hard and then that was when the heat kicked on. But my engine strated to overheat once again

Ok. When you hit the fuel, and then got heat, that suggests there was air in the system. Now the question is where did the air come from. IF you take the rad cap of when cold, and start your engine, does it start to bubble from the tank?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It does not have a cap on the actual radiator but ti does have a seperate tank that has a cap on it. Are you referring to that cap

Yes, the surge tank cap.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did not look at that. I can look in to it tonight and let you know it that okay with you. Im at work right now and dont have my truck. Shoot me an email tomorrow and I let you know if the fluid is bubbling.
Ok