Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

1996 Chevy Suburban: the rear lights work..tail lights..light switch

I Have a 1996 Chevy Suburban. All the rear lights work except the tail lights. I put a new light switch on, and the problem went away for a day. The bulbs are good. The clearance lights have the two on the drivers side out, and the dome light comes on when you hit a bump. The haynes schematic is too generic, and doesn't show which pins are power, ground etc. I just want the rear tail lights working again for obviouse reasons!
Since the lights worked after replacing the switch, I suspect you have a bad connection at the headlight switch. Remove the connector and inspect all the terminals. Terminals that are not making a good connection may be brown in color from excessive resistance and heat. The plastic portion of the connector may even show signs of melting. Also check the socket plates in the rear. These are notorious for going bad.