Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones,
Experience:  GM A Tech at Straub Buick GMC

1995 Chevy: Need to locate and replace heater blower resistor..5.7L

Need to locate and replace heater blower resistor in 1995 Chevy 1500 (5.7L) pick-up.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer I sorry to hear you are having problems with your vehicle I will try to assist you in any way I can to get you going again.

The blower resistor is located on top of the HVAC assembly.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I need directions on how to dismante whatever I need to, to get to the resistor and any specific instructions on how to replace it. Start with: I have found the blower motor under the dash above the floor of of the passenger side. This is all I know. What do I need to replace the blower resistor? Thanks.
Remove or Disconnect
  1. Negative battery cable.
  2. Instrument panel compartment.
  3. Electrical connectors, as necessary.
  4. Screws (73).
  5. Blower motor resistor (74).

Install or Connect

1. Blower motor resistor (74). CAUTION: Make sure the resistor coils do not contact each other. Improper operation or system damage may result.
  2. Screws (73). Tighten screws (73) to 1.4 Nm (12 lbs. in.) .
  3. Electrical connectors, as necessary.
  4. Instrument panel compartment.
  5. Negative battery cable.
    • Check circuit operation.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I don't know what is meant exactly by "instrument panel compartment". From the diagram you sent, I would estimate the resistor is located on top of the black plastic box above the ash tray/lighter compartment in the truck. Is it necessary to remove the bezel, radio, control head, and instruments composing the dash board to get to it? I have a Haynes manual. The procedure for removal of the "instrument cluster" as they call it is described on pg. 12-8 and it warns about disabling the airbag system and seperating the "instrument cluster" and "housing". Separating them may cause damage to the computer chips due to static electricity.

I need more detail on removal of the "instrument panel compartment" Thanks

Sorry it is the Glove compartment
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK. Thanks,

Do you have a diagram for removing the glove compartment? It is not in my Haynes manual. Thanks

I only can find this picture of the glove box but there should be a stop bracket on the glove box when you open it that can be either pushed out of the way or removed to fully open the glove box. Then you might be able to gain access to the resistor.

graphic

Daniel Jones,
Experience: GM A Tech at Straub Buick GMC

Thank you for choosing JA. If you have more questions please ask. If I have

helped you Please click accept and fill out feed back. Paying the deposit

does not pay me unless you accept the advice